PDA

View Full Version : Home made applicators

Jesstzn
03-25-2004, 10:31 AM
I made my own applicators. Not that I am cheap .. well maybe . But ..

I wanted something a little smaller and firmer for applying Zaino/SG etc.

What I did was find a 12 x 12 +/- MF towel that wouldn`t scratch and folded it and cut it into pocket size pieces that would fit over 3 fingers.

I then sewed up the sides and turned them inside out so there is no seems but for the open end.

On some I inserted kitchen sponges for the purpose of having a firm side to the applicator which added in the thin layering of SG or Z. This side because of the green scouring pad is not absorbent.

The other side of the sponge is not as firm and work good on thicker waxes like NXT

Some pockets I use just slipped over my fingers.

Cost was 1 M/F towel ( $1) and a sponge which I buy at the Dollar store here for 12/$1

Total cost for 6 was about $2. ( I use these for tire dressing. )

Pix attached shows "from the left" applicator pocket, applicator withthe mf rolled back to show the sponge, applicator withsponge inside.

These will wash up along with your other M/ towels... just take the sponge out.

Applicators (http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/3076/12805dsc00641-med.jpg)

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-25-2004, 02:33 PM
Hey, I`m impressed! Especially since they can be washed and reused. Very good creative discovery! Thanks for sharing your good idea.

Dinzdale40
03-25-2004, 03:37 PM
sounds kinda like the Df applicator. I got 3 of them and they are really great, I like them better with the sponge......it allows me to spread thin and more evenly than just putting my fingers in there

Jesstzn
03-25-2004, 10:38 PM
BTW I made these from a Wal-Mart 5/$5 towel and used one today to apply Z5 x 3 over a swirl/scratch free car and you know how thin you need the Z. End result .. thin Z and *no* induced swirls or scratches from the m/f ( looked under a 1000w and natural sunlight) . To apply Z5 thin you need to rub it in hard in str8 lines so there is significant surface pressure.