PDA

View Full Version : Polymer vs. Acrylics

jsoto
03-24-2004, 04:43 PM
What is the scoop between polymers vs. acrylic sealants ? Are there any funtional differences in terms of application, durability, color *change*, etc ?

I haven`t seen Zaino dried on a clear film but Mike P. brought up a good point that has I`ve thought about. How much can a wax dull/change the color of a car. I`ve got Klasse SG in a clear plastic spray bottle and I do see that on the top edge of the spray bottle, where the product has dried on a film, it doe`s lool very hazy. I don`t see this when it`s on my black car but I`m sure it is *reducing* the clarity of the paint. Am I wrong on this ...?

imported_jgv
03-24-2004, 05:54 PM
The point of waxing/sealing is protecting the finish in the first place. The surface may become more reflective if the sealant/wax fills the surfaces micro irregularities creating a more even flat finish, and a more deep look by adding a small coat.

Nothing changes less the visibility than vacuo. Second to us is the air. Anything we add to a perfect finish will make it less visible than it was before. Maybe more reflective, deep and protected though.

:rolleyes:

foxtrapper
03-25-2004, 11:25 AM
Technically, an acrylic is a subgroup of the broader polymer chemicals. They are both long chain repeating chemicals. Both terms are as vague as words like metal or plastic. The terms are used interchangably by the marketing and advertising people for the products we slather on our cars.

As for clarity, that is a function of finish and internal opacity. Glass is a good example. Sand blasted glass cannot be looked through because of the rough surface. It still is clear internally, but not on the surface. Milk glass can have an excellent surface for viewing, but due to its internal opacity, it cannot be viewed through either. There is nothing inherently good about an acrylic or polymer for clarity. It becomes very specific to the chemicals, and to how it is applied.