PDA

View Full Version : Best Carnuba Paste Wax With Filling Ability

percynjpn
03-24-2004, 10:17 AM
Could anyone share their experience concerning which (non-cleaner)carnuba fills (very minor) blemishes? My car is 12 years old, the paint (light metallic) is in fantastic condition (thanks to 1z PP, Glanz Wax, topped with "SURLUSTER MANHATTAN GOLD carnuba -perhaps not sold in the U.S., but is kind of the Pinnacle Souveran of Japan).

The paint is basically gorgeous (honest!), but I`d really like to use a paste wax with a slight filling ability, as I don`t want to wear down the CC by over-polishing. Recent posts have made me interested in trying M`s #16; any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

imported_memnuts
03-24-2004, 10:49 AM
percynjpn,

Rather than depending on a carnauba to fill the minor swirling you have, you may want to consider a "glaze" for this function (filling) and than follow with the carnuaba of your choice. I have not used the 1Z Glanz Wax so I am no knowledge of its "glazing" ability. Maybe someone will chime in with this info.:wavey

percynjpn
03-24-2004, 11:07 AM
Thanks BLKZ28,

In fact, I`m considering skipping the Glanz, and then using GEPC followed by a "pure" carnuba. I`ve used P21S and S100, and they`re really fine waxes, but I`m wondering if there isn`t some carnuba paste that has the filling properties that (in my observations) those two don`t. Right now, I`m dying to try #16 (thanks to Scottwax and Aurora40!), but I can`t get it over here; before I decide to import, I`d like to hear the opinions of the Autopia Board of Regents!! Could you recommend a glaze that might do better (I know it`s hard if you haven`t seen the paint)?

By the way, the problem is not really "swirls", which the PP has taken care of nicely, it`s more like microscopic "streaks"(for lack of a better description) that have accumulated over (esp) the hood and roof; the car has seen it`s share of time on Tokyo`s expressways, and has put in a few hundred laps at the local circuit. Any marks have come from "road wear", rather than detailing; I can`t explain it exactly, but the problem is not "swirls" or "micromarring". I`m sorry I don`t have any pics to post; my descriptions can`t really povide an accurate image, but again, they`re not readilly visible except in certain lighting conditions.

Anyway, thanks very much for any recommendations.

:D

membim
03-24-2004, 11:44 AM
Pinnacle`s Liquid Souveran is pretty good for what you are wanting to do.

TortoiseAWD
03-24-2004, 12:00 PM
percynjpn,

Since you`re already familiar with 1Z, have you tried their Metallic Polish to see if it will hide the marks you describe? Metallic, IMO, is a lot like GEPC/SEPC (mild polish, some filling) with the exception that it leaves some protection behind as well. It seems to have mild blemish hiding abilities. Perhaps using Metallic before Glanz will do the trick?

Tort

percynjpn
03-24-2004, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, Membim.

How much does the Liquid Souveran cost? I know the paste is pretty darn expensive (for my pocketbook, anyway!).

percynjpn
03-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

percynjpn,

Since you`re already familiar with 1Z, have you tried their Metallic Polish to see if it will hide the marks you describe? Metallic, IMO, is a lot like GEPC/SEPC (mild polish, some filling) with the exception that it leaves some protection behind as well. It seems to have mild blemish hiding abilities. Perhaps using Metallic before Glanz will do the trick?

Tort

In fact, that`s what I plan to do next weekend! I haven`t tried the MP yet, but with the results I`ve gotten with the PP, I`m sure it will improve things noticeably.

I know polishing is the key; I just would like to ice the cake , as it were, with a wax that adds a bit more OOMPH!

One other reason is that, though I like the Glanz and a few other synthetics, (probably because I`m pushing 40 :( ) applying carnuba pastes really seems to give me some kind of psychological satisfaction that the synthetics don`t. Don`t laugh!! (as ABE SIMPSON said "it`ll happen to you, too!!!"):angry

Thanks!

Accumulator
03-24-2004, 01:23 PM
percynjpn- I`m a big fan of both 1Z products and #16. The MP will fill in your imperfections a little better than the PP. The #16 works pretty well for what you`re after and yes, it`s one of those waxes that some of us just ENJOY using. But be forewarned that it might dull the "pop" of your MP. MP leaves a pretty incredible look, and it`s easy to mute it a bit by putting something less optically clear over it. #16 is a pretty "heavy" wax, and IMO it`s not quite as crystal-clear and sharp as MP.

But on the positive side, besides being enjoyable to use, the #16 gives INCREDIBLE beading and lasts a LONG time. It looks a lot like the P21S but yes, it does fill better. I hope you give it a try, I don`t think too many people are being disappointed by it. Worth the hassle of importing, one can will last a very long time.

membim
03-24-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by percynjpn

Thanks for the recommendation, Membim.

How much does the Liquid Souveran cost? I know the paste is pretty darn expensive (for my pocketbook, anyway!).

You can get Pinnacle Liquid Souveran from Autogeek.net or Classicmotoringaccessories.com. I normally pay between $20 and $25. It`s very easy to apply and buff off. Hope this helps!

percynjpn
03-25-2004, 03:54 AM
Thank you for the information guys!! :D

imported_ottoman
03-25-2004, 11:24 AM
For your situation I would like to suggest One Grand Omega Glaze and One Grand Blitz.

The glaze is wonderful for filling and adding deep wet-look. And Blitz is one of the best pure waxes out there. Only problem is that it will stain trim but if you are careful around the edges its no problem. Cheaper than Pinnacle and much more durable. Additional layers of Blitz really make the finish wonderful and since you take care of your car`s paint, I am assuming you will be adding multiple layers.

percynjpn
03-25-2004, 11:44 AM
Thank you Ottoman,

I`ve never used Blitz, but I`ve been considering doing so recently. The trim-staining problem actually doesn`t bother me, because my `92 Silvia has no plastic door handles, rub strips, or other trim that might easilly catch wax residue.

When I visit the U.S. in May, I may pick up the wax, or even the glaze.

P.