PDA

View Full Version : 3M Perfect It - For Dark Cars

Pages : [1] 2 3

2002 Maxima SE
03-24-2004, 09:56 AM
I hate this product. I have no idea what happened. A few weeks ago, I decided to take care of some swirls I had on my car (very little hazing). I spent the better part of the night applying 3M Perfect-It. The results were great at first...about 90% of the swirls were gone.

After that I applied PUPP. The car looked great!

Last weekend I washed the car with Turtle Wax Car Wash. I planned on applying a second coat of PUPP when done. After the wash I noticed that not only had most of my swirls returned, but the finish was very hazy. 3M Perfect-It had added more imperfections to the paint.

I applied a second coat of PUPP which seems to hide it, but I am not happy with this at all.

:down

Bill D
03-24-2004, 09:59 AM
Yep, I hated the stuff too, on another black car I had, I didn`t even get as good as results you did. I`m certain the "for black cars" is a clear indicator of temporary fillers that wear away rather quickly. I`ve stayed away from swirl removers ( or at least those with fillers) and have used light polishes for that kind of job.

2002 Maxima SE
03-24-2004, 10:13 AM
I`m wondering if it is because I went from 3M Perfect-It to PUPP? I ordered some AIO that will be in this week, will that help? If so, now that I have PUPP on the car, will I be ok to:

1)Wash the car

2)Apply AIO

3)Apply PUPP

Bill D
03-24-2004, 10:41 AM
I know AIO will remove any fillers in products you used previously, so if you use the 3m smr for black cars, the fillers will be removed by the AIO.

I have no experience with UPP, I do hear its a great topper for SG though. I`m considering it sometime to top my SG but I have loads and loads of layers of SG on my car already :)

2002 Maxima SE
03-24-2004, 10:47 AM
Cool!

Do you think I should try a polish in there to remove the hazing or will AIO take care of that?

Jesstzn
03-24-2004, 10:52 AM
I too tried the 3M SMR for dark cars and did a test drive on my trunk .. was the same results that you obtained .. looked good till the fillers left.

Now I use Menzerna Polishes prior to the sealant/wax.

stevet
03-24-2004, 11:01 AM
Try Perfect it III Machine Glaze. This is the swirl remover in 3M`s newest line Perfect it III. This stuff has no fillers and works great by hand and PC.

armoredsaint
03-24-2004, 11:01 AM
Try our Perfect-It III Machine Glaze instead, I used SMR for Dark cars before and like what you found out it was mainly fillers.

2002 Maxima SE
03-24-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by armoredsaintt

Try our Perfect-It III Machine Glaze instead, I used SMR for Dark cars before and like what you found out it was mainly fillers.

So, what about the hazing? Is that just chemicals or do I need something to fix that now too?

stevet
03-24-2004, 11:43 AM
2002 Maxima SE,

Although Perfect it Swirl Mark Remover is loaded with fillers it also has abrasives in it. Your hazing could very well be from not breaking the abrasives down all the way. This would leave micro marring in the paint and this shows up as haze. I have had this happen to me before when working by hand with products that are difficult to break down or using the PC and not working the product long enough.

I would do:

Perfect It III Machine Glaze to remove the swirls and haze

Than AIO

Than UPP

Accumulator
03-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Yep, what the others are saying about the PI-III MG (pn 05937) :xyxthumbs It contains abrasives that break down pretty easily; it`s not just a chemical cleaner or loaded with fillers. If it`s not strong enough to remove the marring, try PI-III RC ( pn 05933) and then repeat with the MG. If the MG leaves any residue (rare, but it does happen) the AIO will clean it right off.

AIO and UPP work well for me, but they doesn`t really hide anything. Get the marring better before going to the AIO/UPP.

2002 Maxima SE
03-24-2004, 01:22 PM
Should I use Perfect It III Machine Glaze or will DACP do the same (as far as cleaning up the haze and swirls)?

Accumulator
03-24-2004, 01:26 PM
2002 Maxima SE- Hard to say, they`re similar. I`d expect the MG to be easier to use by hand (no long breakdown required), but it`s also a milder product that might not get out the kind of marring the DACP can remove. Note that sometimes people get (micro)marring after using DACP and have to follow up with something milder anyhow.

2002 Maxima SE
03-24-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

2002 Maxima SE- Hard to say, they`re similar. I`d expect the MG to be easier to use by hand (no long breakdown required), but it`s also a milder product that might not get out the kind of marring the DACP can remove. Note that sometimes people get (micro)marring after using DACP and have to follow up with something milder anyhow.

Great! Thanks!

Is there anywhere I can get this stuff in smaller quantity? All I see is a quart container for $24.99.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/levineauto/3mperiiimacg.html

Jesstzn
03-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

2002 Note that sometimes people get (micro)marring after using DACP and have to follow up with something milder anyhow.

I am finding I am getting that with DACP and a yellow pad no matter the speed of the PC and I break it down to dry. But then I have a black B5.5. The mars look like little velcro hooks *just to describe them* when viewed under a 1000 W Halogen. The can`t really be seen in regular daylight.

I have gotten now to only use DACP on a bad spot on mine.. otherwise I stick to Menzerna IP on a Meguiars Cutting Pad ( purple )