PDA

View Full Version : Sorry---Another stupid Zaino Question

Grumpyg
03-23-2004, 08:47 PM
Everybody says that you have to wash the car with Dawn before applying Zaino. This removes all waxes and debris. This will give the polish a good surface to adhere to. Is there anything else that I can wash my car with that will remove old wax and debris and not that harsh?? Thanks

imported_Greg
03-23-2004, 09:06 PM
Well here`s my suggestion, after you clay, which would be a good idea, and do a pre-Zaino polish, which would also be a good idea, would be to do an isopropanol/water spray. This will remove any oils and you don`t have to go to the effort of washing again.

chris0626
03-24-2004, 12:33 AM
As with too many questions, Grumpyg, I think the answer is "it depends." What do you currently have on your paint? (i.e., wax?) What prep do you plan to do before Zaino application? (clay? what kind of polish? etc.) All that will influence whether and with what you need to wash. Let us know, OK? :up

raymond_ho2002
03-24-2004, 05:11 AM
I`m one of those people that say that you can use klasse AIO. I *think* i remember reading a while back someone asking sal zaino about this, to which sal seemed to falter a bit in coming up with a legitimate reason for still doing the dawn wash.

-Raymond

LouisanaJeeper
03-24-2004, 07:48 AM
I mix 50/50 dawn/car wash in one bucket .

Grumpyg
03-24-2004, 08:31 AM
Lynn,

When I got the car it was late November. I was able to put 1 coat of Meguires Carnuba wax on it before the snow came. I`m new to all this. I just want to get something on there that will protect it and make it shine. Here`s what I plan on doing.

1. Wash with something to get old wax and debri off car

2. Use there Z5? to remove the swirl marks. Every new crossfire I saw had them

3. After swirl marks are gone, use Z2 (1 or 2 coats)

4. Yes, I`ll use there Gloss Enhancer between coats

Like I said, I really don`t want to get too involved with it. I just want something that will protect my car.

Can we start a thread for us newbies on what should be done and what shouldn`t. I know everything is preference.

Thanks

LouisanaJeeper
03-24-2004, 08:48 AM
don`t count on z5 removing or hiding swirls, you will need to polish them out before zainoing.

Grumpyg
03-24-2004, 09:00 AM
What do you suggest I use? Where can I buy it??

audio1der
03-24-2004, 09:02 AM
While doing research last year to see if I`d take the Zaino plunge, I discovered most Autopians say Z5 is far too mild to remove anything but the lighest swirls.

I bought 3M`s Swirl Mark Remover (SMR) and it works wonderfully- even by hand. After my Dawn (it`s not THAT harsh!) wash, I clayed, used the SMR, re-washed with dawn, then started with Z1 pre-lock, and Z2-Z6 layers.

I think you`ve chosen a great no-fuss product to protect your paint- beleive the Zaino hype!:xyxthumbs

LouisanaJeeper
03-24-2004, 09:04 AM
3M fine cut rubbing compound, Meg`s DACP, or possibly 3M PI-III Machine glaze or Meg`s Swirlmark remover if they are very light. All these should be locally available at NAPA/ pepboys/autozone/or walmart.

You should be able to remove the swirls by hand if they are not too deep.

Grumpyg
03-24-2004, 09:18 AM
Thanks for your help

chris0626
03-26-2004, 01:39 AM
Grumpyg, other folks have given you good tips about polishes. And don`t forget to clay after you wash but before polishing. As for the Z process, be sure to read thru Nick`s Zaino Tips & Tricks in our Hall of Fame forum. That`ll give you lots of useful tips.