PDA

View Full Version : How to get rubber off of painted bumper?

joburnet
03-22-2004, 09:46 PM
My gf was in a small accident and hit the tire of another car and the rubber rubbed off onto her bumper. What could be used to get this off? Thanks.

imported_Dave Holmes
03-23-2004, 12:48 AM
I would start with a clay bar. If this doesn`t work (I`ve never used it to remove rubber), I`d go with something like 3M Adhesive and Wax Remover. The 3M is clearcoat safe, and works well. If you go with another brand, double check that it is clearcoat safe. Either one of these methods should work. If not, you may have to go to a cleaner/polish (Meg`s #9 SMR being mild up to Meg`s #83 DACP being more aggressive). Start mild, and work your way more aggressive only if needed.

Whatever method you use (I listed them in order I`d go), re-apply wax/sealant to the area when finished as all the above methods can/will strip existing wax/sealants.

Dave

joburnet
03-23-2004, 12:52 AM
I`ll give it a try but I think i`m going to need something that dissolves rubber. There is a fairly thick layer of rubber coating the bumper and a polish would probably get it off but it would take a long time. I`ll give it a try when I get a chance next week.

srg
03-23-2004, 01:23 AM
Try using Mr. Clean`s Magic Eraser.

Wet with water and gently rub off the marks. I use this thing all over my car. Inside and out. removes tar, bugs, scuffs, scratches (small ones).

Be careful and gentle. You can go over this with a QD, S&W and buff with a polish...

Let us know if this works.

These foam erasers can be found in most markets.