PDA

View Full Version : Tiny rock chip on hood!

imported_BilltheCat
03-22-2004, 08:58 PM
most would not see it. But I do!

It is almost in the middle of the hood and towards the front. It is smooth and you can feel the depth to it. definate edges . a little smaller than the head of a paper match for size.

How do I handle this? How do I get it looking as close to before as possible?

The hood has Zaino and then P21s carnauba over it.

any help appreciated.:confused:

Accumulator
03-22-2004, 09:35 PM
If you don`t want to just live with it (I have 18 year-old chips on the XJS`s hood that I`m cool with), you`ll have to:

Strip your protection off

Clean out the chip

Apply basecoat touch up paint

Apply clear

Wet sand

Compound

Polish

And it might still show.

There`s a bunch of info on touch up, though I`m not sure what you should use for a search.

imported_BilltheCat
03-22-2004, 09:52 PM
It`s the first mark on the paint. I know its small and most would never see it. Im not sure how deep it is, not to the primer Im sure.

I just have to do something. I just dont want it to be something wrong

Bill D
03-22-2004, 10:03 PM
Maybe a paint pen can help.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29325&highlight=paint+pen

DantePasquale
03-22-2004, 10:11 PM
Do a search using `Langka`. This is a good product for making your touch up work blend in with the original paint.

imported_BilltheCat
03-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Langka. will do. paint pens. hmmm

thks!

Bill D
03-23-2004, 10:33 PM
I`m assuming the paint pen will isolate the chip area most ( more precise placement of paint) and minimize the use of Langka. When I was using Langka I was applying it after traditionally touching up chips with touch up paint on a toothpick, that blobbed and I needed the Langka, sometimes it was a bit tricky to get just right.

Accumulator
03-24-2004, 01:12 PM
I`m getting better results since switching from toothpicks, matches, etc. to small (multiple-0 size) artist`s brushes. MUCH better control.

imported_BilltheCat
03-24-2004, 03:48 PM
another hint I will take to heart! Thanks!