PDA

View Full Version : Weekend`s Action: Reassessment

Pages : [1] 2

tom p.
03-22-2004, 07:07 PM
(I hope you guys don’t mind my neurotic and repetitive weekend update threads http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm/uhoh2.gif - - cabin fever - - that’s what I’m going to blame. Waiting for some warmer weather so I can get down to business.)

I sample a lot of different detailing and car-related products. I use many items that seem to be an initial disappointment yet others rave about the product so I figure they`re worth a second look. :nixweiss

Here are the items I tinkered with the past weekend:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/3086/26weekend.jpg

The Ultimate Hose nozzle was anything but for me. I got a new 3/4" hose as recommended by the vendor and that did little to improve the overall flow. This is not a keeper and can be used by someone with high water pressure only.

(hose glamour shot 1 (http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/3086/26simg_0067.jpg) hose glamour shot 2 (http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/3086/26simg_0065.jpg) )

This UV2 protectant is similar to Vinylex but appears to be thicker and offers better coverage. It offers a semi-glossy appearance. I had some other comments about it here (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34722).

I have just about depleted my Wolfgang soap. The first time around I wasn’t too impressed. I generally mix soaps at ½ strength (or less) and find this works OK for me. I prefer to minimize the use of soap as it doesn’t really benefit our beloved wax finishes. This time I used the Wolfgang soap at about 75% of recommended strength and found it to work much better than when I initially tried it. It really generates a lot of foam, almost to the point of being excessive. I found my wash bucket was just a mass of bubbles and little free rinse water towards the bottom.

1Z Cockpit Premium. This is a most unusual product. I used it once or twice before and thought it was nice and did a decent job cleaning and left an attractive finish. I can’t say I have ever experienced another product quite like it. I had been using an MF mitt and the Cockpit Premium and cleaning up dusty and dirty surfaces. It does a GREAT job.

My wife had been working in the kitchen trying to remove tiny handprints that cover the wood cabinets. She was having no luck cleaning stubborn prints. I grabbed the 1Z and let her try it with the MF mitt and it was able to take care of the handprints. Pretty cool. I like products that can do duty in the car and house!

EngineKote is a little bit of an unknown. I misted some in the wheel wells after washing the car. I think I should have let the wheel wells dry…it appears most of the EK just dripped on the ground. Oh, well. I still have the better part of a gallon to try again.

I had used Meguiar’s #00 wash a number of years ago and was disappointed. I think I used it once and threw the bottle away. Again, people here seemed to offer good reviews so I bought another bottle and tried it again. I used close to the mfr’s recommended strength and found it did a respectable job. Pleasant surprise! The cleaning seem good and lubricity was good but it is devoid of any sexy tropical odors.

One Grand Wash ‘n’ Wax is a product I have used for a long time. Know how long it takes to use up a gallon of car wash? The product is your basic auto shampoo and I have found it to be very disappointing. What I have done in the past is to add an ounce to whatever shampoo I am using to bolster the shine. The Wash ‘n’ Wax is said to contain water-soluble wax. It does leave a high gloss when blended with other car soaps. On its own, not very good.

tom p.
03-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Micro-Restore test results coming soon....

Accumulator
03-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Keep those reports coming...sooner or later you`ll hit on a product I`m interested in ;)

It WAS interesting about the Cockpit Premium. Might look into that one.

Yeah, that Meg`s 00 works OK, at strength, if the car`s not too dirty. Though nothing`s gonna get me away from Griot`s Car Wash anytime soon :D

tom p.
03-28-2004, 08:53 PM
next time you need to place an order and can pick up some of the 1Z Cockpit premium, check it out, it`s a nice product to have around. :up

tom p.
03-28-2004, 09:11 PM
:cool:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/26washwater.jpg

(Q: How would you explain yourself if your wife caught you taking pictures of the washing machine

:eek: :confused: )

Accumulator
03-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Heh heh, around here, Accumulatorette wouldn`t even blink at that. Tells you how off the deep end *I* am, huh?

Yeah, the next time I`m ordering 1Z stuff...

I *AM* interested in how that Micro-Restore works.

Jcrawford
03-28-2004, 09:46 PM
what`s micro-restore?? where can i find it?

Anthony O.
03-28-2004, 10:11 PM
Micro-restore is a detergent designed for microfiber. How it differs I am not sure but I will continue to use good ol Woolite:D

Anthony

BillNorth
03-28-2004, 10:40 PM
Tom,

I`m curious to know how your wolfgang sealant is holding up on the test area you applied it too?

tom p.
03-29-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by BillNorth

Tom,

I`m curious to know how your wolfgang sealant is holding up on the test area you applied it too?

Bill, I washed the car on Friday afternoon and did the "MF drag test" where I walk up and down the side of the car lightly pressing Ranney`s yellow (ultra soft) MF towel. The two slickest panels are the Blackfire and the UPP surfaces at this time. The NXT and the Wolfgang are virtually identical.

As far as appearance, they are all tightly packed in a group which means they all look good. I`d have to say the NXT fender is glossier than the others but not by much.

The beading vs. sheeting when the car rinsed is interesting. Some bead and some sheet...I`ll try to pay closer attention next wash session.

Overall: nothing definitive yet, I need more weeks to form a opinion.

SamIam
03-29-2004, 09:26 AM
Accumulator,

Try the 1Z Cockpit premium, I`m sure you`ll like it. Use it on my A8 and it works great.

Accumulator
03-29-2004, 11:36 AM
SamIAm- OK, you guys have talked me into it. I`ve found that Audi interior vinyl can be picky about dressings...when I used Pinnacle on my `95.5 S6 it did NOT work well at all. Seemed to rub off when you touched it, leaving a crappy looking mess. Which reminds me, I have a half-gallon of that (expensive) Pinnacle stuff just sitting on the shelf unopened :o

tom p.
03-29-2004, 11:38 AM
1Z Cockpit Premium when used with an MF mitt. That`s an effective combo!

BillNorth
03-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the info Tom!

Bill D
03-29-2004, 11:43 AM
I`ll look into the 1z too but so far my Audi dash is responding well to 303, maybe after the gallon is used up:D I`ll try the 1z