PDA

View Full Version : How many pads/how often to change them during a detailng session

imported_Verinnal
03-22-2004, 10:12 AM
Hey there folks. The weather is getting warmer and I`ll be doing some more experimenting with detailing this year so here is my question.

I own a PC with two CMA Advanced Yellow Pads and two CMA Advanced White Pads. Is this enough for swirl removal?

My process is usually:

wash (2 bucket method)

clay

wash again (2 bucket method, fresh wash mitt)

dry

SMR

VM Glaze

S100

QD with Clearkote quikshine

Can I use 1 yellow pad to SMR my entire car? If I find exceptionally bad spots I use FI2 to get rid of scratches and deep swirls and I usually use the second yellow pad for that. Just curious if i should get some additional pads or if I can use the one for an entire car.

Thanks!

imported_Verinnal
03-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Also, if the size of the car matters its an IS300.

thinksnow
03-22-2004, 08:18 PM
I don`t know with SMR, but you will be able to tell with a little practice when it is time to swap out pads. For example, when I use 3M Machine Glaze with a cutting pad, it becomes very apparent because the dusting becomes uncontrollable. In my eyes, the pad has become too "loaded up" with product to be effective. I have swapped out polishing pads with products like IP, and I have never needed to swap out a finishing pad (even on an Excursion). Basically, just start using the one, and notice when your efforts are not being rewarded as they were when you started the vehicle. You will get a feel for it fairly quickly.

dgraupman
03-23-2004, 09:21 AM
Even if you only had one yellow pad and one white pad you`d be fine.

When my pad gets loaded up, rather than reach for a fresh one, I take the pad off and put a thin ring of dawn around the middle of the pad. I gently rub it into the pad, and then under running warm water I gently brush the pad with a soft bristled tooth brush and the pad comes clean in no time (about 5 minutes for the whole process). Then I remount the pad on the PC and either spin it inside an empty bucket or outside and it virtually dries out. It`s now clean and ready to use, and I`ve had a nice little 5 minute break.

I`ve got 4 pads each of the yellow and white from Lake Country, and have only used 1 of each. Each has been used about 15 times and still look relatively new.

imported_neoflex
03-23-2004, 12:13 PM
I use different pads for different products so whether I am doing the CTS or Grand Cherokee by the time I am done with one product the pad still looks fine. I usually don`t use anything to heavy though. The sloppiest pad is usually the one I use with the Menzerna IP. After that the pads usually don`t get too caked up. If I plan on doing more than one vehicle I then do what dgraupman said.

bunmango
03-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by dgraupman

Even if you only had one yellow pad and one white pad you`d be fine.

When my pad gets loaded up, rather than reach for a fresh one, I take the pad off and put a thin ring of dawn around the middle of the pad. I gently rub it into the pad, and then under running warm water I gently brush the pad with a soft bristled tooth brush and the pad comes clean in no time (about 5 minutes for the whole process). Then I remount the pad on the PC and either spin it inside an empty bucket or outside and it virtually dries out. It`s now clean and ready to use, and I`ve had a nice little 5 minute break.

I`ve got 4 pads each of the yellow and white from Lake Country, and have only used 1 of each. Each has been used about 15 times and still look relatively new.

I do this as well, except over time, I`ve found that the velcro backing is loosing its grip- I used to be able to spin the pad on my PC at 6 with no problems, but now I`m having trouble keeping the pad on at 3! Do you have this problem as well? I`ve washed them probably the same amount as you have, but now I`m getting to the point where the pads just fly off whenever I give them a spin to dry off :confused:

Accumulator
03-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by bunmango

I do this as well, except over time, I`ve found that the velcro backing is loosing its grip-...I`m getting to the point where the pads just fly off whenever I give them a spin to dry off :confused:

I`ve had SO many PC pads fly off that I`ve quit drying them that way. I still do it with the Cyclo, even have a plastic tub just to catch the spatter. But not with the PC. Besides the wear and tear on the velcro, all it takes is one flight into something nasty and then the pad is REALLY contaminated...

dgraupman
03-23-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by bunmango

I do this as well, except over time, I`ve found that the velcro backing is loosing its grip- I used to be able to spin the pad on my PC at 6 with no problems, but now I`m having trouble keeping the pad on at 3! Do you have this problem as well? I`ve washed them probably the same amount as you have, but now I`m getting to the point where the pads just fly off whenever I give them a spin to dry off :confused:

No, I don`t have any problems at all spinning the pads dry. I usually only crank it up to about 5.

I`ve heard some people say their pads started to have chunks missing, and the felt backing was separating from the pad, but mine still perform and adhere to the backing plate today as well as when I first got `em. I don`t know who made the pads those posters were referring to (or how they treated their pads), but I`ve had real good luck with mine.

The LC pads have actually exceeded my expectations. I wouldn`t have ordered 4 of each if I knew they were gonna hold up this well. I`ve had several marathon sessions with the the yellow and white pads, so they`ve been well used over the last 3 months.

imported_Verinnal
03-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the replies folks. I like dgraupman`s suggestion about cleaning it with dawn and hot water during a detailing session if necessary.

stevet
03-23-2004, 06:16 PM
After I clean my pads in the sink with water and a tooth brush I squeeze out as much water as I can with my hand than I put the pad in the washing machine on spin cycle. The pads are ready for use again and no damage to the velcro backing.

bunmango
03-23-2004, 09:19 PM
http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/13876img_3891.jpg

on the left, a brand new yellow LC pad... on the right, a used yellow LC pad which I`ve washed probably 20 times. Is there any way that I can "rejuvenate" the velcro backing on the pad so that it sticks better to the backing plate?

Am I doing something wrong when I wash them? I use either dishwashing soap or Woolite, fold the pad in half and rub it around against each other to agitate, and then let it soak in some hot water for about 15 minutes. Afterwards I rinse with hot water and wring dry with my hands. Normally I`d spin each pad for a bit on my PC but lately they just go flying off because the velcro doesn`t hook as well at it used to.

Should I just try cleaning the foam part with a brush instead of folding/agitating?

edit: I found my answer http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=328733

breakneckvtec
03-23-2004, 09:26 PM
Is it really necessary to have one pad for every product you have? I mean I have way too many for this to be rational. I have used DACP with a white polishing pad, washed it with dawn, dried it out and later on used it with a SMR and havent noticed any problems.

I would have a TON of pads if I had one for everything I used. What do you guys do?

Accumulator
03-24-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by breakneckvtec

I would have a TON of pads if I had one for everything I used. What do you guys do?

Well, I have a ton of pads :o

nosed_b18b
03-24-2004, 03:30 PM
I use all my pads with different products. I just clean my pads after every use. I also wash with dawn and hot water. I let them soak in a plastic tub and brush them with a soft bristled toothbrush. I squeeze out the extra water and let them hang on velcro strips that are attached to a ladder in my garage. I know, it`s ghetto.:o :p

http://www.boostgarage.com/1/DSC00943.JPG

breakneckvtec
03-24-2004, 03:32 PM
I mean, once they are thoroughly cleaned, do you have to keep track with what product you have used on what pad? I dont, and havent had any problems to date...