PDA

View Full Version : "Sealants" over glazes?

LightngSVT
03-22-2004, 08:01 AM
I was wondering about the use of 2-step sealants (like WG and Klasse) over glazes? Does this make any sense? Will the pre-polishes (WG and AIO) remove the glaze before applying the sealant? Or would it be better to glaze over sealnt and how long should the cure before beingf topped (like if you were doing a customer car)?

THe reason I ask is because I finally went out and bought some Megs SMR and DACP this weekend. I tried the SMR with my rotary at about 1500 rpm with a foam polishing pad on my wifes fairly swirled GP. The results were great! But I noticed that while almost all swirls were removed, there were still some of the deeper car wash scratches. Now if you were to be taking care of a car long term you dont want to remove more material than necessary, so applying a filler product to hide those last few marks may be a better long term idea than using a more aggressive compound. This may also be important to customers too.

DantePasquale
03-22-2004, 08:04 AM
Don`t know about WG, but I would think AIO would remove any filler/glaze that is on the paint.

imported_ajbarnes
03-22-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by pwalk

but I would think AIO would remove any filler/glaze that is on the paint.

Yup!

Don
03-22-2004, 08:27 AM
Megs waxes and sealants are designed to work with their glazes/fillers without removing them. If you want to use other products for toppers, they might not be as filler compatible and either not bond over the fillers (ZAINO etc) or remove the fillers upon application (AIO etc).

Magellan498
03-22-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Don M

Megs waxes and sealants are designed to work with their glazes/fillers without removing them. If you want to use other products for toppers, they might not be as filler compatible and either not bond over the fillers (ZAINO etc) or remove the fillers upon application (AIO etc).

He hit the nail on the head. Sealants work because they are able to bond to the paint and they cannot bond if there is a glaze in between them and the paint. AIO will remove any glaze and Zaino just won`t bond properly. You can always just use a glaze on top of your sealant, but then its all what you prefer. (though, some "glazes" are slightly abrasive so you may run the risk of removing your sealant)

breakneckvtec
03-22-2004, 01:32 PM
From what I have read and talked to people about BF is compatible with glazes. Its one big reason I am giving it a shot, I am gonna throw it over VM.

WAX2MUCH
03-23-2004, 11:55 AM
Yes, BF is compatible with most glazes (like IHG/#7/#3). I know that CMA has mentioned this on their website and they are now offering the new Menzerna Glaze which they tell me is compatible with BF......and I suspect it would work with Wolfgang sealant too.