PDA

View Full Version : New Member, can anyone help me out?

SB2G
03-22-2004, 02:43 AM
Hi new member here, and I`m pretty new to detailing a car properly. I`ve owned my 1997 Ford Explorer (Forest Green) for about two and half years now (bought it used), and I`ve only washed and wax it on a regular basis, using wax that I`ve bought from wal-mart (Black Magic). My car`s paint is in pretty good condition, looks decent from afar but when you get close you can see the paint swirls, escpecially in the sun, and also there are some minor scratches here and there.

I`ve been reading these boards for a couple of days and I really want to detail my car properly, so far I`ve bought two products:

+Claymagic kit

+NXT Tech Wax

With all of products out there, I`m confused as to what would be a good combination to get rid of paint swirls and minor scratches. What would be some good polish, paint cleaner, etc. to compliment the NXT I`ve bought. I will be buying a PC in the next few days, so I`ll be a first time user with that also. I`ve been looking at Meguiar`s line of cleaners/polishes, but I keep reading about AIO, etc. Can anyone help me out? Kinda confused :nixweiss

scottabir
03-22-2004, 03:12 AM
You got a good start with the clay magic kit, you will be impressed with the smoothness of your paint after you use it. If you want to stay with megs. it is a safe choice in my opinion. I really like their Dual action cleaner polish and their swirl free polish they are both from their proffesional line (pep boys here sells them both). AIO seems to be a great chemical cleaner but personally I haven`t seen it help with swirls that much. I honestly haven`t tried the NXT yet but there seems to be a few good words about it out there. Dont be too scared of the PC you`ll be amazed how esy it is to use, your arm/muscles will thank you :)

SB2G
03-22-2004, 03:24 AM
scottbair, thanks for the info!

My car definetly needs clay, I did the little sandwhich bag test, and my whole car felt really "gritty"

I recently put some cheap BlackMagic wax on my car, I`m assuming claying and using a cleaner/polish will remove this wax, right? I`ve been looking at Meguiar`s Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner and pair it with Meguiar`s Swirl Remover #9, then NXT

Or Should I Use DACP instead of Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner?

So the basic process would be:

Wash

Clay

DACP

Nxt

Is that a decent start?

Anyone else with any info or can critique my "newbie process" :)

scottabir
03-22-2004, 03:34 AM
i haven`t used the medallion cleaner so i cant really comment on it.Your process is in the correct order. Like I mentioned earlier I havent tried the NXT wax but I prefer S100, megs. #26 wax or souveran.

Also I prefer most of the time to care for megs. #82 Swirl free polish better than #9, but that is just my personal preference.

But it sounds like you got a good heads up where to start.

Before you know it you`ll need extra storage shelves/cabinets to hold all your new and gotta-have products :)

SB2G
03-22-2004, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the info!!

Anyone else is welcome to offer any suggestions!!

former86camaro
03-22-2004, 08:04 AM
Sounds good.. Once you get into it a little more i would look into products like WG, PS21, ect...

RScott29
03-22-2004, 09:09 AM
welcome to autopia

Gonzo
03-22-2004, 09:37 AM
DACP needs to be worked until it "dusts" off the paint. You will need to work it until this happens, then you will know the abrasives it contains have fully broken down. Wipe residues off with a MF towel. You may also see a slight haze or some micro-marring from the use of DACP. If that is the case try some #9 to remove those. Work the #9 enough to remove the residual marring, but don`t work it until dry. It is best removed while still a little damp, again with a clean MF towel.

jasonatv22
03-22-2004, 10:42 AM
I`d say do thing gradually. And as for your swirls, that word has a very specific meaning here. If you have fine micro-scratches, that`s not really the same thing. I`d just go with a paint cleaner type thing and see if the light aprasives in that will take car of your problems.

The glazey EO Nanowax is free after rebate too. A glaze should fill in the lil scratches. But, traditionally, they wear off quickly.

Read up. Autopia is amazing.

BTW, I`d start with the paint cleaner. Mild first, then move harsher if needed. My 2 cents.

Patrick
03-22-2004, 12:16 PM
SB, let me offer my .02...

Before you get carried away with a bunch of different products, do yourself a favor. Start with brand name off the shelf stuff, (Meg`s, Mothers both make a 1-2-3 punch) until you get a feel for what, "cleaners, polishes, glazes, waxes, sealants", can do for you. In my opinion, its very important to understand characteristics, results, of what each product will do for you. Then you can experiment with different brands....Each brand promises different things, and as you learn detailing, you will understand what variations there are among brands.

stainbuster
03-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Patrick and everyone else summed it up nicely. If you don`t want to sink a bit of money and time, simply visit a professional detail shop.

If you have small funds and a bit of time available, then you will surely find all the help you need here, and will most likely become obsessed with detailing your Explorer. LOL!

Anyway, I just wanted to say, "WHAT`S UP CEDAR PARK?!?"

I`m formerly from Houston and lived in NW Austin (near 183) for 3 years. Man, do I miss Texas, especially the tex-mex, hot Texas chicks, and Lake Travis! Later

Mike R

SB2G
03-22-2004, 05:13 PM
So since I`m new would it not be too safe using DACP for this first time, because I`ll also being using a PC, and I`ve never used one before. Should I go a little more mild? Like Megs Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner? Or perhaps some other cleaner?

Patrick
03-22-2004, 06:09 PM
See my above post !!