PDA

View Full Version : Applied SMR - Didn`t help - Suggestions?

farjo08
03-22-2004, 02:30 AM
A little background. I have a 2002 Carbon Black M3 which has a ton of swirls. Until last fall all I really have done is wash and wax the car but over time the swirls started piling up so last fall I bought and applied Zaino after hearing wonderful things about it only to be disappointed in that it did nothing to help with the swirls (it did give the car a nice shine).

After some more research and talking with Sal Zaino I was told that it would only help on minor swirls and what I really needed was something like 3M SMR. So I just bought a PC and some SMR and went to work this weekend.

I washed the car twice (once with Dawn and once with the Zaino shampoo). I then did my first application of SMR with the PC on about a 1/4 of the hood and did not notice any difference. I then tried applying some by hand to another section of the hood and the same result.

At this point I am disappointed with the lack of results and the swirls so I comtemplating bringing my car to a detailer to see what they can do with it. Now for the questions.

What could be the problem with the SMR not working? The only thing I can think of is that there is too much wax buildup and Zaino (I applied 4 coats when I first applied it) that the SMR just isn`t cutting through it to get to the swirls. Could that be the problem? If so, what should I use to strip everything off? Any thoughts / suggestions on the possible problem and solution would be appreciated.

Now if I get my car professionally detailed and it comes out looking that way I want and expecting, what would be the best method to keep it looking that way? I recently bought (switched to) a microfiber wash mit and microfiber towers (I was using a lambs wool wash mit and the PS1 drying towel previously) thinking that should help with the further prevention of them but I am looking for more advice on the best products / methods to keep the car looking good (swirl free) once (hopefully) it is cleaned up. Again any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks,

John

farjo08
03-22-2004, 12:51 PM
bump

imported_Greg
03-22-2004, 12:55 PM
Hey John-

3M SMR is a very very mild abrasive and contains mostly fillers. This would be my suggestion based upon the condition you have described- cutting pad with something like DACP, PI III MG, or 1Z PP. Crank up the PC to 6, and work them until they are like dust. Check to see if they are removed. Also, the search engine is your friend- type "swirl removal" or something like that and you`ve got enough reading material for a week. Welcome and nice M3.

Edit: Its not the Zaino layers that is preventing the removal. Also, if you want to have it professionally detailed, you might want to enter a location in your profile so you get some recommendations for detailers in your area.

raymond_ho2002
03-22-2004, 01:05 PM
What greg said. :)

When it comes to swirl removing, 3M smr is really only good for removing the haze left by more abrasive polishes. Anything you can see without the aid of high-powered incandescent lights will require stronger polishes.

As greg mentioned, there`s no way that any wax or sealant can build up to the point where it inhibits SMR or any other polish.

Search the site for "two bucket wash" and "proper wash method" for ways to maintain your car after you polish it. There`s no point in removing swirls when you`re going to put them back with a bad wash.

unclearty
03-22-2004, 01:16 PM
After reading your thread, it sounds like you were trying to APPLY SMR by hand. SMR is an abrasive that needs to be worked into the finish to burnish the paint. That is extremely hard to do by hand. It really needs a PC and a polishing pad, and working the product until it dusts. If you`re just applying it like a wax, then trying to remove it..it`s probably smearing because you haven`t broken it down.

farjo08
03-22-2004, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the replies. I had done some research before buying the PC and SMR as that is what most people seemed to recommend for th job.

Now reading this, it does not look like the SMR might be the right product after all and like the Zaino which I was originally told would take care of the swirls, it really won`t help much.

I appreciate the input and will continue my research.

I tried using a PC to apply the SMR as well as by hand to see if I got any different results, so I have the right equiptment for the job.

Also, I am located in Westminster Colorado, so if there are any detailers out there or anyone has any recommendations from this area it would be appreciated.

wizardofahs
03-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Zaino will hide light swirls, but doesn`t do too much for removing them.

I`ve found with Zaino your best bet is to start with just paint. It doesn`t quite work as well (unlike most other products) with a glaze or filler underneeth. It`s best just to level out the clearcoat, and apply zaino directly on top of it.

The down side to this is without the extra product under your final layer, the swirls and things will be a little more visible. Thus you really have to take your time with the abrasive and try and get the paint as perfect as you can.

A PC is a good choice for doing so, though like has been said, SMR might not be the right choice. Maybe FI-II, Menzerna IP, or DACP would be more what you were looking for.

I also sent you a PM about detailing in CO.