PDA

View Full Version : Hello - need some advice

Bradgr
03-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Hi guys/gals...new member here. Thought it wise to enter discussion regarding prepping, polishing and waxing my car before i go and purchase suitable items for the job.

First, my car:

1994 Alfa Romeo 164 24v Cloverleaf

!/2 red paint, 1/2 black plastic scurting (as per normal)

Beige leather interior

Standard wheels (16" i believe)

I have owned the car for some 41/2 years or so, and admit that i have never taken the time to do the car justice with regards to looking after the paintwork. But hopefully that is now about to change.

The car is not looking its best, but not too bad either. After reading lots of forums i "think" i know what i want to do, but just need some clarification. My idea is to use the Meguiars 3 stage deep crystal system.

My questions are as follows:

1) Is this a good system to use, or is there a better alternative (price related?)?

2) what is THE correct procedure ? (eg wash, then dry, then use clay bar, etc, etc.)

Looking for any feedback, and if you have questions to ask, please do so.

Thanks,

Bradgr

Anthony O.
03-21-2004, 07:53 PM
Bradgr,

I have not used the 3 step program you mention but others on this board have and it seems that many here also like it.

The correct procedure would be to:

Wash

While the car is still wet, and after the final rinse, you can then clay the car.

Rinse it down once more and then dry it.

Start the cleaning/polishing process and then seal with your choice of sealants.

That`s it in a nutshell

Anthony

kustomsol
03-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Zaino produts have done me proud. First used them about 2 1/2 years ago on a 91 Red Buick Reatta Convertible. Drove into a Krispy Kreme Doughnut Franchise and was asked how I liked my "NEW" car. This daily driver is kept garaged and washed and cleaned frequently and still looks better than it did on the showroom floor when I bought it new. To do it right takes a lot of time, patience, and elbow grease. Now I use Zaino on my 1977 Excalibur and 02 Lexus. Check out Zainobros.com

Lowejackson
03-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Welcome to Autopia :xyxthumbs

Always good to see more Brits here and it is great to see another Alfa driver

Steven

johnny1423
03-22-2004, 01:54 PM
Make the investment....Porter orbital polisher...you will never go back to doing it by hand!!!!!!

Bradgr
03-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the prompt replies (PS- Lowejackson - also good to see a fellow Alfa driver....what Alfa do you own?)

The reason i`m thinking of using the Meg 3 stage deep crystal system is it`s accessability here, and that i`ve read that it is a good system to use. However, it seems Meg. duplicates some of its products, and is getting me a wee bit confused.

My car has not been polished in a loooong time, it has various scratches (not deep) and stone chip marks here and there (mainly front bonnet). If i was to purchase the 3 stage, would stage 1 help to tackle the scratches, swirl marks, etc, effectively, or is it wiser to forgo this and buy the scratch X instead? Then carry on with stages 2 and 3? Or possibly other alternatives within the Meg range.

Given the fact that i`m gonna be spending a fair wack (for me) on cleaning/polishing products, i`m afraid my budget will not allow a porter orbital polisher, at least for the time being - sorry johny1423.

Also, to re-cap, am i correct in saying that my order of events would be as follows:

1) Wash

2) Use either Scratch X or Meg. stage 1 deep crystal system

3) Rinse

4) Use clay bar after the rinse and whilst car is still wet

5) Rinse car again

6) Dry

7) Use Meg. stage 2 deep crystal system

8) Use Meg. stage 3 deep crystal system

9) Use Meg. Gold Class Trim Detailer for plastic areas on car.

10) Stand back and admire a job well done (I hope)

Sorry if i sound repetitive, but i want to make sure i do the job right from the word go.

Bradgr.

PhilS
03-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Hi Bradgr,

I`m in the same boat as you - completely new to detailing and (was) confused by Megs range of products. I too was looking at their 3 stage DC system but after reading postings to the Megs UK forum decided to go for their Clear Coat Body Scrub instead of DC stage 1 - because it is slightly more aggressive and my paintwork is quite neglected. I stuck with the DC stage 2 but opted for Gold Class Clear Coat Wax instead of DC stage 3 - I`m lead to believe this creates a slightly glossier finish. I also purchased their Quik Clay and ScratchX. The order I have been advised to do things is as follows:

1. Wash, Rinse and Dry

2. Clay (using the included Quik Detailer as a lubricant)

3. Clear Coat Body Scrub

4. ScratchX

5. DC Stage 2 Polish

6. Gold Class Clear Coat Wax

I did step 1 above with ````` liquid since the idea was that it would remove all traces of existing wax. I was advised not to but when ahead anyway - I`m now kicking myself - it waterspotted like anything on my black paint and has bleached some of my plastic trim - last time I`m using that! I will be using Megs Gold Class Shampoo from now on.

Unfortunately, I only managed to get half way through step 3 before it started to rain - my car is kept outside so I guess I`ll be starting all over again next weekend :/

Cheers,

Phil

2wheelsx2
03-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Guys, as Anthony already, suggested:

Wash, then clay while the car is still wet, saves you lubricant, and why dry when you have to rinse again?

Then dry and use Scratch-X on the scratches and step 1 of the system for the rest of the car. Scratch-X is not really meant as a paint cleaner, there are many products which are easier to use for general paint cleaning.

After that, proceed as you have outlined.

Working by hand is all right. You`ll never get the same results as with a PC, unless you have arms like Scottwax. :)

However, with cotton terry towels and a little elbow grease, you should be able to make a great improvement.

Show us some pics when you are done.