PDA

View Full Version : Help! How to Clean,polish & clearcoat alloy wheels with paint surfaces &

JimP
03-21-2004, 10:37 AM
plastic inserts...

Here`s a link to a photo of the wheels:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288110623&p=4182315262&idx=13

They are alloy wheels with painted portions & the center insert is

plastic.

How do I make them "showroom" before I install them?

All advice graefully appreciated.

Jim

Accumulator
03-21-2004, 10:48 AM
JimP- Welcome to Autopia. Can`t view your pic, it won`t let me see it without "joining".

Generally, you can treat the plastic and painted parts of wheels the same. Often the plastic parts are painted anyway.

I always pull the wheels off. Easier to work on and I can get to the back sides and around/in the lug holes.

I`d start with a good cleaning using a wheel cleaner or an all-purpose cleaner like EFHI. If the backs are really bad, you might have to gently scrub them with somethig like a MILD Scotchbrite pad (the one mad for non-stick surfaces). Then clay them thoroughly. If they`re really nasty, use the undiluted cleaner as a lube for the clay. I try to get them as clean as possible with the clay. Then polish with something mild (like 3M PI-III MG, pn 05937) and/or clean them with something like AIO. Then seal or wax them with the product of your choice. AIO+SG is popular, as are Collinite waxes.

DantePasquale
03-21-2004, 11:50 AM
Welcome. For sure, the AIO+SG should have those wheels looking their best!

stilez
03-21-2004, 03:23 PM
If it`s painted and clearcoated, you are safe to treat it like paint.

Wash

Clay

Polish

Protect

It is said to only use a paint sealant to protect because waxes will melt off quick with the heat developed by braking.

On mine, I used Klasse AIO, Klasse SG x 3

http://mywebspace.quinnipiac.edu/stbusch/DSC00683.JPG

Oh, also after using Klasse I have noticed much less brake dust (due to its anti-static formula), as well as extremely easy cleaning procedures.

Lowejackson
03-21-2004, 04:37 PM
Welcome to Autopia.

Whilst you have the wheels off, deep clean the wheel wells and suspension and braking components. This makes a big difference to how your wheels look.

Brake cleaner is also a useful tool for the more stubborn marks.

JimP
03-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Hello All,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I tried to attach a photo of one of the wheels - hope it posts.

The wheel is not as nice as it looks in the photos - I want them to look "showroom"! BTW, I bought a bunch of detailing eqmnt. & supplies, but I don`t know how to use them yet - polishers,alum. polish, polishing pads for my electric drill, clearcoat aerosol for painted surfaces. I need someone to tell me just what to do!

Thanks all!