PDA

View Full Version : Correct process for Swirl Removing?

Volvolove
03-20-2004, 09:39 PM
Hello Everyone

i`m fairly new, but i am obsessed about keeping my car looking good and i`m sure i`m not the only obsessed one out there ... heck, sometimes i open the door for my mom just because i dont like her nails scratching underneath the door handle ... (but i am a gentlman as well of course)

First off, i`m not blessed enough to have a PC but my hand is still young ... can i use 3M`s Fine Cut Compound affectively by hand? i am aware that SMR can be used by hand, but it is primarily fillers. Being that i wish to take out swirls, what compound or other product can i use affectively for this by hand?

Secondly, i have the privalege of living in York, Pa ... let me translate ... S100 products are a step away at the Harley Plant and Store ... i`ve just recently started to use it and i love it, but i would like to see what giving the car a base of AIO would do before waxing. my question then i guess, would be what should i use in between compounding and AIO? maybe SMR or meg`s #3 machine polish? will all that be fine underneath of AIO, or will the AIO negate or take off any fillers or anything? thanks for any help

Accumulator
03-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Volvolove- Welcome to Autopia. As you suspect, AIO will remove fillers/oils/etc. And Meg`s #3 doesn`t have any abrasives so it won`t really remove any swirls anyhow. Two products that work fine for me (by hand) are 3M`s PIII RC (05933) and MG (05937). Any residue they might leave (uncommon, but it happens) will be easily removed by the AIO. I`d just get those two products. The RC is VERY mild as those kind of products go and the MG is a great mild polish to use before AIO for minor swirls.

Mr Monk
03-21-2004, 11:23 AM
Volvolove...You`re in the right place if you`re OC (obsessive-compulsive). We all are and it`s great fun!!!

Meguiars Scratch-X is designed to be used by hand. It`s desinged for light scratch and swirl removal. That may work.

Save your pennies and go for the PC. Once you do you`ll truly be hooked on detailing!!!

Welcome aboard!!!