PDA

View Full Version : Craigs List

Beemerboy
09-23-2004, 01:31 PM
I have a buddy/customer that is selling a few items on Craigs list. He has a couple of cars and other art itmes listed. He had two guys in the UK ask about one car and another a painting. In both cases they wanted to see pics of which he sent them. In both cases they e-mailed back saying that they would liek to buy them, then asking for his banking info to have the money wired to him, and that he need not worry about the transportation they have someone that they had already hired.

I told him in no way send these guys your banking info and to ask that they send you a bank issued cashers check and make sure that it clears before arranging for shipping.

This seems like a big scam to me and its happened twice in two days for him.

Has anyone else had this happen to them seems dangerous.

mtodde
09-23-2004, 02:28 PM
I have a friend that happened to on eBay. Fortunately he did not give them his banking info. He turned it over to eBay and they found that the same person or group had won auctions for a bunch of cars and then used the scam with the banking information to withdraw funds from about 20 accounts.

It is a variation on a long time scheme...get someone`s banking info & drain their account.