PDA

View Full Version : interior carpet

Scox1235
03-19-2004, 11:42 AM
I live in Minnesota, and during the winter the snow plows put a lot of salt down on the road. i was wondering what is the most effective way to clean off the salt stains that have come in the car off of shoes and boots.... the stains are not bad, but i wanna get them cleaned up and off as soon as possible...

Thank you very much :bow :bow

Steve C.

-99 Vw passat 1.8T

My Little Baby.

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-20-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Scox1235

what is the most effective way to clean off the salt stains that have come in the car off of shoes and boots.... the stains are not bad, but i wanna get them cleaned up and off as soon as possible...

You could use your favorite brand name spray carpet cleaner, such as Bissel or Resolve and a wet dry vac. Simply spray on either the foam or liquid, scrub gently with a nylon brush and vacuum dry. For an even appearance it`s a good idea to overlap work areas during the cleaning process.

imported_Dave Holmes
03-21-2004, 04:34 AM
I second what Frank said. My personal favorite spray carpet cleaner is Tuff Stuff. I always vacuum thoroughly first, even using a stiff brush to move the carpet nap different ways. Then spray Tuff Stuff, brush in lightly, let dwell for a minute or two, then either blot or vacuum up. Works very well. Can also be used on my vinyl door panels and cloth seats.

And what Frank said about overlapping work areas for an even appearance is very good advice. Sometimes you`ll get the spotted area too clean, and it really sticks out compared to the rest of the carpet. When this happens, I know it`s time for me to break out the Steam Vac in the near future (a rental steam vac is also an option for you; you could do the entire carpet to get everything clean).

Dave

Scox1235
03-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Thanks for all the help, i got them out this weekend with using some stain remover.

tpgsr
03-21-2004, 09:22 PM
Another good tip for salt is simply use water. Salt disolves in water and can be vacuumed right up, just stiff brush some water in, vacuum, repeat if necessary. Works like a charm here in rochester where the salt turns the carpets into a Sodium Chloride rock.