PDA

View Full Version : will a quick detailer scratch paint if dusty

Pages : [1] 2 3

jab
03-18-2004, 03:50 PM
I normally use, Meguires quick detailer every other day with mf towels to keep from having to wash the car every wk. Is this ok to do, or am i cuasing possible scratches. I try to only wash the car when it is really dusty or dirty, otherwise i try to quick detail to keep clean. Any thoughts, is this a good idea??

andriver
03-18-2004, 04:00 PM
I use a California Duster prior to QD to remove all loose dust. I have never experienced any scratches.

Bill D
03-18-2004, 04:03 PM
I do the same, no scratching as a result

jab
03-18-2004, 04:03 PM
I have heard that calif dusters are not good because they drag the dust around creating scratches, especially the dirtier the duster gets.

jab
03-18-2004, 04:05 PM
I have one but what is the best way to wash the duster when dirty?

Bill D
03-18-2004, 04:07 PM
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22338&highlight=washing+duster

raymond_ho2002
03-18-2004, 04:11 PM
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10615&highlight=rigorous+duster

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11803&highlight=carguy+duster

raymond_ho2002
03-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Wow, a CCD search tagteam by Bill D and I! :)

imported_vindaloo
03-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Perhaps Poorboys Spray & Wipe would be better in these circumstances. I know I always use it after I`ve taken my garage queen out for a quick spin with no scratching

Bill D
03-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by raymond_ho2002

Wow, a CCD search tagteam by Bill D and I! :)

LOL, and that was totally unplanned too. Way to go ! :xyxthumbs

Accumulator
03-19-2004, 11:02 AM
I can`t seem to QD/CCD without causing SOME micromarring (or worse). I know other people do it without problems, but I try to be as careful/gentle as humanly possible and I STILL get marring. So rather than continuing trying to master the QD/CCD (at the risk of more paint damage), I just don`t touch my vehicles unless they`re wet with wash solution.

Just take a look at your paint under harsh lighting and magnification, you`ll see if your marring it.

imported_ajbarnes
03-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

I can`t seem to QD/CCD without causing SOME micromarring (or worse). I know other people do it without problems, but I try to be as careful/gentle as humanly possible and I STILL get marring. So rather than continuing trying to master the QD/CCD (at the risk of more paint damage), I just don`t touch my vehicles unless they`re wet with wash solution.

Just take a look at your paint under harsh lighting and magnification, you`ll see if your marring it.

Same here.

I just wash the vehicle and QD. I wash with QEW, so it`s not a tedious task. I can`t remember one time using CCD when it didn`t cause marring, mirco-scratches, etc.

Chris Y.
03-19-2004, 12:53 PM
If you`ve got a black or dark color car...I`d really stay away from QD`ing or the CCD. I used to QD my black 745Li every other day, and learned the hard way. :(

Just not worth it to go back and polish the micro-scratches out.

Bill D
03-19-2004, 01:00 PM
:nixweiss I use QD and I CCD my black Audi, I see no obvious micromarring even under intense lighting

Bluto
03-19-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Same here. I was extremely careful, did OK for a while, and one time put nasty scratchs in my last car. The clean look was not worth the time it took to buff out scratches.

I think it really depends on where you live/drive/environment. Your results may vary. :nixweiss

I prefer a dusty car to a scratched car. My car is washed when I have time.

I will use QD to remove harmful stuff on the pain ASAP. I keep a bottle and a MF in my trunk. Takes care of a little bird poop or spilt gas when needed.