PDA

View Full Version : 3m doesn`t break down?

Dtail
03-18-2004, 03:10 PM
My 3m smr doesn`t seem to break down to a point that it just burnish or polish the paint. No matter how long i work it on my black car. Has anyone else experienced this? I used to leave all my products sitting in my garage from summer to winter. Could that might have affected the way the polish breaks down? Will I be able to get a pristine finish with the 3m? I need a marr free finish because im using crystal guard and right now crystal guard shows everything that was left by the smr. It`s very reflective and glossy from far away but when you look close it shows all the marrings from the 3m.

raymond_ho2002
03-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Are you using a pc? What pad are you using, what pc speed setting, and how many passes over the paint do you make?

Dtail
03-18-2004, 04:16 PM
Yes, I use it with a pc set at speed 5. I work on it until it`s almost gone. It just doen`t seem to break down to leave a smooth finish. Im going to try my meguiars SFP this time and see if it will leave a better finish. I didn`t have any luck with it before but i guess i`ll try it out again with a different technique.

raymond_ho2002
03-18-2004, 05:16 PM
Strange.. i`ve always gotten sickeningly shiny finishes after using 3M smr :( After making 5 passes or so with the pc, i notice that the product dries up a bit.. when that happens, i squirt with a bit of qd and make a few more passes, lightening up the load on the pc on each pass until the final pass is with the weight of the pc itself. Maybe it`s just that your car paint doesnt like 3M products.. any improvement when you follow up with a milder hand polish (VM, #81, #7, #3, etc)?

best of luck with sfp!

armoredsaint
03-18-2004, 05:33 PM
are you using too much product maybe? I did that the first time with SMR.

Dtail
03-18-2004, 09:40 PM
The paint looks really shiny its just under certain sunlight it shows marrings left from the 3m smr. I used it with the meguiars polishing pad. Would using menzerna FP after smr help remove the marrings???