PDA

View Full Version : Best time of year for paint?

endus
03-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Sigh.

I got hit this morning and the person took off.

Wonderful.

So there`s enough stuff wrong with my car at this point that I`m thinking of just getting the damn thing repainted. I can`t afford it, but what the hell..that`s never stopped me from getting body work before. I figure since the hood that I just got painted before last winter (had to be done) is all scratched up from ice :rolleyes: and there`s scratches on the a pillar from god knows what, and two massive scratches on the door (rust risk size) from debris that someone was kind enough to leave in the road, a massive gouge in my rear bumper, and now damage to the rear quarter panel from this....RRRRR....incident....I might as well just paint the damn thing and get it over with in one shot. I`m still in massive "my car just got hit" depression and despair, so I might end up realizing the financial consequences aren`t worth it, but at this point it seems like a good idea.

In any case, my question is what is the best possible time of the year to get this done? Obviously not the winter or pre-winter, but should I wait until Summer really sets in and it`s super-hot, or should I do it while it`s still cool out? I live in MA so summer can get into the 90`s...

Also, anything to think about when getting the whole car done? My bodyshop has been good to me except for the job they did on the hood (unsanded strips that had to be buffed out by yours truely) so I trust them, but is there anything else I could do to possibly give them an edge? Any disassembly it might be wise for me to do for them?

I won`t be changing the color...

endus
03-18-2004, 02:29 PM
Also, what about this glasurit paint? I know the place I go to uses PPG. Is it worth me risking a new bodyshop to try and find someone that uses glasurit or are the differences minimal...I tend to expect that they are.