PDA

View Full Version : Is it illegal if........

C-MDX
03-18-2004, 12:53 AM
I add tint on the front two windows and remove the front license plate?? In my area, people said it`s illegal but I saw people doing it with their cars, removing the front plate, tint their driver and passenger said windows. Some tinted them so dark that I believe it`s 20% :eek:. Anyone in my area know if I can do so with the front plate?? Never thought of the tint but I want to do the plate since it makes detailing the front bumper easier and the car has a cleaner look to it.

2wheelsx2
03-18-2004, 01:31 AM
Yup. Illegal. If you get pulled over for anything, they will ticket you. If you have a new car, you can get away with saying that you have not drilled the holes in the bumper yet, or that you just had the bumper repaired or something. But it`s illegal in Vancouver.

Tint in front windows are also illegal. If you do either of these things, be ready for lots of hassles from the cops.

medic
03-18-2004, 02:02 AM
if you`re quick, you can roll down your windows before the cops walk up next to your windows and you may be okay since they may not notice the tint, but you`ll have to deal with rain/snow getting into your car if it`s wet outside.

here in california, you only get a fix it ticket for this stuff meaning that you have to pay $10 and then resolve whatever is wrong with your car (screw in the front liscense plate, remove the tint, etc) and have an officer sign off on it.

C-MDX
03-18-2004, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

Yup. Illegal. If you get pulled over for anything, they will ticket you. If you have a new car, you can get away with saying that you have not drilled the holes in the bumper yet, or that you just had the bumper repaired or something. But it`s illegal in Vancouver.

Tint in front windows are also illegal. If you do either of these things, be ready for lots of hassles from the cops.

Does that mean all the cars I saw on the street which has either these things has gotten a ticket before??

chu_singming
03-18-2004, 07:05 AM
I can`t speak for Canada but I`ve never been hasseled about my tint and I have 5%. I`ve been pulled over before and the cop didn`t say anything. Granted, the cops in my area are pretty lienient about aftermarket mods.

andriver
03-18-2004, 08:32 AM
I don`t know about British Columbia but in Texas we have annual vehicle inspections. If you have annual inspections, your car may not pass due to the tint.

Sveta
03-18-2004, 10:00 AM
New Mexico is still a freedom loving state. Tint your windows and we don`t waste money on front plates. Love the "old west". Saddle gun laws still, too. Just a perk living in a "small" state out West. :welcome :usa

chu_singming
03-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Same here, no front plates, no inspections, no smog tests, nothing! It`s great.

nizee
03-18-2004, 11:23 AM
I`m sorry i can`t speak for Canada, but here in the US, can you go to these sites and help find out the law.

First Site to visit (http://www.doityourselftint.com/tintlaws.html)

Second Site to Visit (http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html)

In texas, you can have a maximum of only 35% tint on the front driver and passenger side windows. For the 2nd rows and the back, you can have any % tint, the legal requirement. Had my car this way and pass inspection.

But certain state have different requirement, and like in CA for example, you are not allow to tint any front driver and passenger side windows.

Accumulator
03-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Just because something is illegal, that doesn`t mean you`ll get cited for it. I seldom run front plates, even though it`s required here. Accumulatorette and I have been pulled over quite a few times :o but we were never cited for THAT. In our area, it seems to be an excuse for selective enforcement...a reason to pull over people who come across as "wrong". If you come across as OK to the LEOs they don`t care about front plates.

Tinted windows are different. LEOs HATE them (with good reason, IMO) because every time they approach a vehicle with dark tint they wonder "are the guys in there gonna shoot me? Sure wish I could see what they`re doing.." So by the time they decide that you`re not a threat, they`re already amped and it`s hard to put that genie back in the bottle. So even if the tint isn`t so dark as to be techinically illegal, they LEO`s already negatively predisposed towards you. Areas like FLA/NM/AZ where EVERYONE has dark tint (and for functional, practical reasons) are different, though the LEOs are still gonna be thinking the same things. Just imagine yourself in their shoes, approaching a car, not knowing what`s gonna happen...

Sveta
03-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Tinted windows are different. LEOs HATE them (with good reason, IMO) .....LEO`s already negatively predisposed towards you.

Sad but true. It really helps to have your Police or Highway Patrol Association sticker displayed in your rear window. I swear it helped me once get a friendly warning even though 10-12 over the limit. I kind of felt "guilty" about it. :usa