PDA

View Full Version : Heaviest leather cleaning possible

B3Golde
03-17-2004, 11:14 PM
This `91 Acura Legend I just got has 150,000 miles of embedded dirt and oil in the leather and also lots of cracks. It feels worse than most vinyls but that`s ok because I just want the color black absent from my tan leather seats. The cracks have become 90% black instead of white like they should be but is there any way how to take this out? Basically I have no leather cleaning product and I know I need to go as strong as possible so long as the cracks don`t get worse. Should I avoid using a brush over the cracked areas? What is the strongest cleaner available?

If pics would help I can snap a few tomorrow....

thanks,

b3

DetailQueen
03-18-2004, 07:38 AM
Lexol or Pinnacle Clean & Cond. might be a good choice both work great on lifting dirt out. You are probably going to have to use a wood leather brush to lift it out of the cracks, just go gentle at first.

togwt
03-18-2004, 08:52 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Leatherique is the best cleaner/conditioner I used thus far, I would use a Woolite/distilled water for initial cleaning and then the Pristine Clean two or three times and then the conditioner. I’ve used it on restored vintage auto leather with great results (one client had suggested I replace the seats, when I’d cleaned them he thought they been)

~Hope this is of some help~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-18-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by B3Golde

The cracks have become 90% black instead of white like they should be but is there any way how to take this out?

Should I avoid using a brush over the cracked areas?

What is the strongest cleaner available?

Contrary to popular opinions, don`t be surprised to find out that neither Leatherique, Lexol nor Pinnacle will help take out the 90% black cracks you have in your leather. These products along with many other may actually make the problem worse.

You should also avoid using either a brush over the cracked areas or the strongest cleaner available. That`s not a good idea. For 13 year old leather seats there just may not be a safe way to thoroughly clean them without causing more damage and making things worse.

Just my thoughts...

dmatre
03-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Leatherique is going to be your best chance to improve the condition of the seats.

Check the following threads, and you can see what kind of results people have had with Leatherique:

Before pics page 1, after pics page 2: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30825&perpage=18&highlight=leatherique&pagenumber=1

Helpful: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23570&highlight=leatherique

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12194&highlight=leatherique

imported_Greg
03-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

Contrary to popular opinions, don`t be surprised to find out that neither Leatherique, Lexol nor Pinnacle will help take out the 90% black cracks you have in your leather. These products along with many other may actually make the problem worse.

You should also avoid using either a brush over the cracked areas or the strongest cleaner available. That`s not a good idea. For 13 year old leather seats there just may not be a safe way to thoroughly clean them without causing more damage and making things worse.

Just my thoughts...

So leather is like vinyl Frank, products that help condition and protect them are bad?

imported_Aurora40
03-18-2004, 09:13 PM
I had very good luck using Meguiar`s All-Purpose Cleaner Plus on leather. They seats were very very dirty, so I used it with an OXO scrub brush. The leather was not cracked, though. I followed it up with Lexol cleaner and the Lexol conditioner. Just 2 cents...