PDA

View Full Version : Guys plz help me choice what to use on my new car

Johnny5
03-17-2004, 04:42 PM
Hey everyone Im knew to ths autpia.org but not to forums. I was referred over from srtforums.com. I just got my 04 Dodge SRT4 saturday in Flame Red. Beautiful car but i really wanan bring out the shine in that paint..

Ive read reviews on alot of the products and have narrowed it down. i was wondering what you guys suggested to use with the Red. I heard good things about this S100 and theres a harley davidson shop right down the street so i wanna go get some. But heres my question

I kno you have to prep the paint with other products before using the carnuba wax. What products should i use and what are there purposes.

I really appreciate the help guys and i hope to get pics up of my car soon so everyone can see.

Thanx again

mike

lairdness
03-17-2004, 05:35 PM
man that`s a can of worms I`m trying to sort out myself...since you`re there already, Harley-D that is, you might try whatever the s100 equivelent of the "p21s Paintwork Cleanser" is (apperantly s100 and p21s are the same company...just one is marketed for bikes and one for cars). I hear it`s a good product and easy to work with. I have no personal experience but I`m doing the same research as you...

http://www.p21s.com/index.html

it`s called "Shine enhancing cleanser" I looked it up over at autogeek dot com

good luck

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-19-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Johnny5

I know you have to prep the paint with other products before using the carnuba wax. What products should i use and what are there purposes.

Johnny5,

Thanks for that good post!

My recommenadtions for what to use on your new Flame Red 04 Dodge SRT4 are as follows:

Polish - Meguiar`s #5 New Car Glaze

Protect - Meguiar`s #20 Polymer Sealant topped with a coat of either #26 Yellow Wax or #16 Paste Wax

Since your 04 Dodge SRT4 is relatively new you really should not have to get too aggressive with regard to cleaning the paint. However, as a vehicle ages this may become necessary. With that in mind I have posted a few additional words about preping the paint before using wax.

Most cleaner polishes are formulated to polish-out mild surface oxidation, fine scratches and water spots. I would only recommend using a cleaner polish when you cannot get good results with a less aggressive product. Understand that most cleaner polishes are more aggressive than waxes and care must always be taken, especially when used on dark colors. When you use a cleaner polish, you will almost always need to follow-up with a less aggressive product. That`s because most cleaner polishes are designed to clean and smooth the surface. By doing this they may actually leave a somewhat fine dullness to the surface. When you follow-up with an application of a less aggressive product this will help polish-out any fine dullness and restore a high gloss shine. This step is almost always necessary. An additional coat of wax will help to deepen the gloss and remove any remaining surface imperfections. This is especially true with dark colors. Remember, cleaner polishes should only be used for specific reasons. They are just one step in the process of cleaning, polishing, protecting and maintaining.

As an example, here`s a look at the entire process, using Meguiar`s Professional products. Use of individual products in each step will depend on vehicle age, color and condition of the paint.

Clean - #2 Fine Cut Cleaner, #83 DACP, #6 Cleaner Wax

Polish - #5 New Car Glaze, #7 Show Car Glaze, #81 Hand Polish

Protect - #20 Polymer Sealant, #26 Yellow Wax, #16 Paste Wax

Maintain - #34 Final Inspection

I hope this helps...

kevmo327
03-19-2004, 11:54 AM
Congrats on the new ride!

I have a flame red Jeep Wrangler that I used AIO with 3 coats of sealant glaze over and am plannign on using s100 as a topper this weekend

There is a ton of good advice on here and everyone is super helpful so i am sure you will have a lot to thknk about

Good Luck

oldmodman
03-20-2004, 04:16 AM
Before you use any polishing products on you brand new paint you might want to use a clay bar on it. Start by using a good car wash to get it dust free. Then clay bar the car.

When I took delivery of my new 03 Ford Cobra in Yellow I was amazed at how much rail dust there was imbedded in the paint. It took me about three hours of carefull clay bar useage to get all the tiny red specks out of the paint. After using the clay bar it didn`t need any polishing. Luckily the dealer had not "cleaned" the car before I picked it up.