PDA

View Full Version : Paint prep questions

ironchef10
03-17-2004, 03:19 PM
First time poster here...with a few questions. Did a search but didn`t find exactly the answers I was looking for.

I have some "enthusiast" detailing experience. Used Meguiar`s and Zaino products on various cars (especially my black Acura CL since it was new and it always looked great). Now the Acura is gone in favor of a new midnight blue Honda Pilot for my wife. I "inherited" her 2001 silver RAV4 on a temporary basis (meaning, the road to my new Corvette runs through a Honda dealership :D ).

The RAV4 paint is in very good shape, however it hasn`t been waxed regularly and while still shiny, I know there is always a layer of oxidized paint there. I will clay the entire car, but I`d like to know what you recommend to prep the surface for Zaino after I clay. Meguiar`s cleaner may be a bit too rough. Something slightly milder?

Also...anything to keep in mind about the Honda`s new paint? The Acura had lousy paint and it was a chore to keep it clean.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Sorry of this has been covered before.

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-19-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by ironchef10

First time poster here...with a few questions. Did a search but didn`t find exactly the answers I was looking for.

The RAV4 paint is in very good shape, however it hasn`t been waxed regularly and while still shiny, I know there is always a layer of oxidized paint there. I will clay the entire car, but I`d like to know what you recommend to prep the surface for Zaino after I clay. Meguiar`s cleaner may be a bit too rough. Something slightly milder?

Also...anything to keep in mind about the Honda`s new paint? The Acura had lousy paint and it was a chore to keep it clean.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

ironchef10,

Thanks for that good post!

Since I always use Meguiar`s Professional products here are my recommendations for the RAV4:

For Cleaning - either the #83 DACP or the #6 Cleaner Wax.

For Polishing - either the #7 Show Car Glaze or #81 Hand Polish.

For Protecting - #20 Polymer Sealant topped with a coat of either #26 Yellow Wax or #16 Paste Wax.

For Maintaining - #34 Final Inspection

My recommendations for your new midnight blue Honda Pilot are as follows:

For Polishing - #5 New Car Glaze.

For Protecting - #20 Polymer Sealant topped with a coat of either #26 Yellow Wax or #16 Paste Wax.

For Maintaining - #34 Final Inspection

It`s always a good idea to think about the process in terms of cleaning, polishing, waxing and maintaining.

I hope this helps...

Accumulator
03-19-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by ironchef10

If you`re gonna use Zaino, I`d prep with either 3M PI-III MG (05937) or Menzerna FP. The MG is stronger, so probably better for the RAV4. It oughta prep the finish OK (I use it on silver all the time) and it`s pretty mild. For the new Honda, clay it, polish if necessary, and get it sealed right away before something happens to it. Then just maintain it. If you like Zaino, then stick with that. Multiple layers of Z oughta protect them just fine and oughta be pretty easy to keep up too.