PDA

View Full Version : New Concours Prep Bag.....

Pages : [1] 2

MBZ 500E
03-17-2004, 12:58 AM
Last year after attending a concours event and nearly running out of preparation time I realized the importance of being organized AT the event. Up until this point I`ve been using a plastic container and throwing all my supplies into it. This meant I had to dig through my container constantly to find the products, wasting much needed time.

Since then I`ve been searching for something which I could use to organize my products and which would also complement my car during events. Just recently I discovered this bag and knew immediately it would work. I purchased the bag, I had some foam cut to fit and I bought the bottles for all my products.

Here`s a picture of the bag closed:

MBZ 500E
03-17-2004, 01:04 AM
I cut all the foam so each of the bottles would fit snugly into it. The foam was purchased from www.efoamstore.com . I have additional bottles which have yet to arrive, these will hold my wax and leather conditioner. The spray bottles have undercarriage dressing, vinyl dressing, tire dressing, QD, wood polish, glass cleaner, interior cleaner and water.

Here`s a picture of the opened top:

MBZ 500E
03-17-2004, 01:10 AM
On the bottom the bag has three seperate compartments. In one I`ve placed my paint/glass/wood MF`s, in the second I`ve placed my engine, wheels, door jambs MF`s, and in the last one I have some foam applicators, latex gloves, my interior and engine dusters and adhesive lint roller.

Here`s a picture of the bottom opened up:

Pats300zx
03-17-2004, 05:16 AM
WOW....very very nice :up

unclearty
03-17-2004, 06:51 AM
OK..that`s just sick.........where can I get one?

How well does it fit into the trunk? Is it a non slip bottom so it doesn`t slide around? Do they make other sizes?:xyxthumbs

MBZ 500E
03-17-2004, 10:22 AM
Unclearty,

Some good questions.

1. They`re available through any Mercedes Dealer, search online and you`ll see it. List price is $99.00, my parts guy gives me a discount and I bought mine for $80.00. Be ready for extended delivery as I guess they`re hard to get.

2. Yes it does have a non slip bottom. It has four velcro `hook` pads sewn on each bottom corner so it lightly sticks to your carpeting in the trunk. It also has a handle on each side to make it easier to lift out of your trunk.

3. No other sizes that I`m aware of unfortunately.

4. See pic below to determine how much space it takes in the trunk:

dternst
03-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Stylinconcepts has the same bag but in a different color for $80

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.cfm/partfamilyid/844/lc/pfpt/CategoryID/1/SubCategoryID/136

Onehole
03-17-2004, 10:56 AM
Very nice :bow

So how exactly did you cut the foam and with what? My detailing kits use "pull out" foam squares but would like to replace these with a more custom fit.

http://www.brackenrig.net/Concoursstuff/polishcase.jpg

crimson
03-17-2004, 03:15 PM
That doesn`t look very hard to make. I think I`ve found myself a project for Thursday. I`ll make one and post pics, if it turns out a great job, I might consider selling them, (For alot less than $80.)

And something not so insanely big, I think I`ll try some levels in the design.

I`ll get back to you later.

BlueDragonZ
03-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by JB in Irvine

So how exactly did you cut the foam and with what? My datilaing kits use "pull out" foam squares but would like to replace these with a more custom fit.

http://www.brackenrig.net/Concoursstuff/polishcase.jpg

That is very nice, I`m looking for something like this. Where did you purchase it and did it came with the little bottles?

Onehole
03-17-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by BlueDragonZ

That is very nice, I`m looking for something like this. Where did you purchase it and did it came with the little bottles?

Got everything from Container Store....all sold seperately.

MBZ 500E
03-17-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by JB in Irvine

So how exactly did you cut the foam and with what? My detailing kits use "pull out" foam squares but would like to replace these with a more custom fit.

Thanks JB. Here`s what I did to get the custom foam.

Prior to ordering the foam I measured the exact size of each of the three upper pockets. I ordered foam in the exact sizes for each chamber (efoamstore will do custom foam). I also thought it would make sense to use two layers of foam, only the upper layer is utilized while the lower layer remains in tact. In the future if I need to change my configuration I can always buy only the upper foam and save some money.

I then took measurements of each of the bottles I was going to use and pre arranged everything on the foam first. I then used a black fine point Sharpie to make an outline where the cuts needed to be made. Using a very sharp exacto knife with a small extendable blade I started making my cuts. The knife blade was extended to nearly the same depth as the bottle or object that need to be fit. Aft all edges had been cut I then tugged the foam at one edge and used the knife to cut into the foam bottom. The foam was thick enough that I didn`t go completely through it. Once you start pulling and cutting the foam starts to tear away leaving a pocket for your product. The bottom of the pocket isn`t perfect but it`s covered by the bottle and does what I need it to do. If you can wait until the HB Concours in June I can always explain it to you in person and show you what I did.:)

Crimson,

Do you work with Nylon? If yes and you want to duplicate the bag make sure you have plastic inserts which have velcro and buttons on them. These are necessary to maintain the bags shape and strength. These inserts are also foldable to compact the bag down to 2" Overall Height. If you look closely you can see where they`re located in my photos. Looking forward to seeing your results.:up

crimson
03-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by MBZ 500E

Crimson,

Do you work with Nylon? If yes and you want to duplicate the bag make sure you have plastic inserts which have velcro and buttons on them. These are necessary to maintain the bags shape and strength. These inserts are also foldable to compact the bag down to 2" Overall Height. If you look closely you can see where they`re located in my photos. Looking forward to seeing your results.:up

I work with all materials, I was actually going to open up a clothing line, but I decided against it due to numerous reasons. I`ve been extremely busy today but I took off of work tomorrow, so if I can find time between detailin my Camaro, I`ll see what I can do.

ccreamer
03-18-2004, 07:11 PM
I just picked one up from rockbottomgolf.com for $29.99 + $14.99 shipping (total ~45.00).

Great idea.

Here is the link:

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/itemdetail.php?c=-1&search_text=trunk%20locker&pgBottomJumpPage=1&sort=&sortdir=&sid=200403181924500000000044920519&sfid=33546&id=12950507

Cory

chris0626
03-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Wow, MBZ! You are One Sick Puppy. I love that about you! :D This is Da Beez Kneez. :bow