PDA

View Full Version : NXT Spray Wax or Deep Crystal?

Shenlon
03-16-2004, 10:55 PM
My car is a 2001 Trans-Am Black/Black and this will be the first time I have ever detailed/cleaned the paint. The previous owner says that the car was kept waxed, but by a detailing company, not by him personally so he doesn`t know what products they used. I have had this car for a week this weekend. I went up to Autozone and bought the Mothers Clay kit as well as a bottle of NXT Tech Wax as well as the Spray Wax. The paint on this car is in very good condition with very few swirl marks. Should I take the Spray Wax back in favor of something else (heard good things about Deep Crystal...?)? I am *extremely* new to this and this will be the first time ever waxing/polishing a car.

**EDIT**

I also searched to try and find an answer using the search feature, but can`t seem to find a concrete answer to my question.

du3ce
03-16-2004, 11:15 PM
after you clay bar the car get the Megauirs Deep Crystal Paint cleaner, i did it this morning and it shines like no other

imported_Greg
03-16-2004, 11:28 PM
I would probably get something like #9 in favor of the deep crystal stuff.

iceinject
03-17-2004, 12:08 AM
The spray wax is a quick detailer, and it goes well with the tech wax (which is awesome) Keep it. Clay bar, then nxt it, and use the spray to "boost" it after you remove dust or the luster starts to wane. I used the deep crystal polish (not as aggressive as the paint cleaner) before the tech wax and it made a great base for the NXT.

in other words, if you`re asking if there is a better quick detailer than the NXT spray, then don`t bother. It goes with the tech wax and is great to boost it up between waxes. You may want to research the steps you`re missing, such as a pre-wax polish/cleaner and a topper (post wax) Some people have been raving about meguiars #16 on top of the NXT

im raMBLING...

C-MDX
03-17-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by iceinject

The spray wax is a quick detailer

I thought NXT spray wax is only a spray version of NXT tech wax :confused:

iceinject
03-17-2004, 01:47 AM
yeah yeah yeah it`s late. It`s more a "booster" than a QD but it`s essentially the same, cept i suppose it should be used only when the car is clean, versus how a QD can go on a light layer of crud. It`s still very much worth owning and using, especially if you`re using the tech wax...

Shenlon
03-17-2004, 07:20 AM
Ok, so for my first wax and detail, I think I am just going tostick with the clay bar prep, and then get a couple of coats of NXT on it. After this point I will determine if I need to go back and add more prepwrok in, but for now I think I am going to stick to the basics, just wash clay and wax.

**EDIT**

I am curious, will NXT hurt the trim on my door panels? Do I need toput masking tape over them?

iceinject
03-17-2004, 10:57 AM
it wont "hurt" the trim but it does stain a bit (for me at least, it`s not as bad as other waxes i`ve used). You can get the stain out but it`s a pain. Tape isn`t a horrible idea if you want to avoid the intricate trim scrubbin` step. Invest in a little detailing brush either way for the residues that will get into various nooks and crannies

imported_garyo
03-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by iceinject

yeah yeah yeah it`s late. It`s more a "booster" than a QD but it`s essentially the same, cept i suppose it should be used only when the car is clean, versus how a QD can go on a light layer of crud. It`s still very much worth owning and using, especially if you`re using the tech wax...

I don`t think the NXT spray wax is "essentially the same" as a quick detailer. It is suppose to be used on a clean surface. Then you must apply it, let it haze, and then buff off.

Whereas, a QD is designed to be used on slightly dirty (more dusty than dirty) surface. Spray and wipe, that is it.

Personally I don`t see the advantage of the NXT spray wax. It is not simpler or easier to use than the actual NXT wax. With the amount of work required you can use NXT in the same amount of time. YMMV.