PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with windows and trim?

Pages : [1] 2

lairdness
03-16-2004, 09:51 PM
I`ve never gotten glass to look right. What`s the secret?...and what about those polishes (RainX etc.)...Same question with Rubber trim...is there a good product to seal that as well?

chris0626
03-16-2004, 11:16 PM
Lairdness, there are probably a gazillion tips we could offer. But ... first it would help if you told us what you have tried and been unhappy with re: glass cleaner/polish and rubber treatments.

lairdness
03-17-2004, 10:47 AM
Lynn. I really have only tried the usual blue windex w/ a couple diff. types of towels...but it doesn`t really matter because my windows look like crap lol.....That`s why I asked "what do YOU do about windows and trim." Because I don`t even know enough to ask and informed question here...

I litterally wanted to know what everyone else did to get nice windows and trim.......no biters it seems...

Thanks

Accumulator
03-17-2004, 11:07 AM
I clean my windows with MFs or Griot`s polypro window towels, using Zep40 or Griot`s Glass cleaner. If the outsides are especially nasty (doesn`t seem to happen much anymore now that I clean them all the time) I`d use clay and/or a glass polish. Last glass polish I used was Pinnacle`s and it worked OK. I`ll sometimes do the side glass with VM or AIO.

For rubber trim I either clean it with Griot`s Rubber Cleaner and treat with ERV dressing (using a q-tip), or I just hit it with VM.

dgraupman
03-17-2004, 11:15 AM
For windows, I almost exclusively use just MF towels. I wet the first MF with plain water, wring it out really well, then wipe down the windows inside and out. I wipe the wet windows with a dry MF and it almost always leaves the window clean and streak free.

I finish the outside of the windows with RainX. For really stubborn interior window fog, I use Stoners Invisible Glass with great results.

I tried claying the windshield based on a few posts I read here, but didn`t see any noticeable difference. Some people say it works great, may wanna give that a try.

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Lairdness,

Can you give us a basic idea of the age, condition, and model of your vehicle?

Sometimes, water spots and other environmental contaminates can become etched into the surface. When that happens unless the glass is completely polished there is really not too much that can be done.

lairdness
03-17-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

Lairdness,

Can you give us a basic idea of the age, condition, and model of your vehicle?

Sometimes, water spots and other environmental contaminates can become etched into the surface. When that happens unless the glass is completely polished there is really not too much that can be done.

Sure!

got me a brand new 2 month old 3 fitty Z....bliiiinnng! lol....why do people talk like that???

So it`s new, but I`ve already experienced that ice sheeting on the winsheild when doing 80 in the rain following a semi (lol just realized I probably shouldn`t do that in the first place hehe)...you know what I mean when you get that one little hole in the sheet of ice you have to look through as you spray wiper fluid like crazy trying to be able to see with the wipers going full blast....not fun!......

and classically I`ve gotten that on every car though....plus this one likes to fog up inside...in it`s deffense it does get the blood pumping pretty good so the fogging is kinda understandable

Also I`ve never gotten glass to look shiney and nice....

so there it is

Thanks helping out folks....I might try claying and a little polish on a test area...maybe even some finish like a RainX....?...?

jinxxycat
03-17-2004, 12:42 PM
I have a 350Z also, and I use the armorall window cleaner wipes. It works very well for the inside of the glass I think, and with the wipes you avoid the overspray onto your dash. I don`t use any special cleaner on the outside, just wash the glass along with the rest of the Z....maybe I SHOULD look into a cleaner for the outsides? :nixweiss

As far as trim goes, I haven`t used anything special yet, but the 303 has been suggested to me. I am going to use it on my first detail of the spring....

Accumulator
03-17-2004, 01:21 PM
lairdness- Be careful trying stuff like RainX. Some people swear by it, but some (myself included) swear AT it.

And seriously, you oughta work at finding a better heat/defrost combo or something. If your windshield is icing/fogging up, or if anything is otherwise compromising your visibility, you`re gonna have a serious problem someday. I assume you`re running your a/c to dehumidify the air inside the car...some people forget to use the "air conditioning" when it`s cold outside.

lairdness
03-17-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

lairdness- Be careful trying stuff like RainX. Some people swear by it, but some (myself included) swear AT it.

And seriously, you oughta work at finding a better heat/defrost combo or something. If your windshield is icing/fogging up, or if anything is otherwise compromising your visibility, you`re gonna have a serious problem someday. I assume you`re running your a/c to dehumidify the air inside the car...some people forget to use the "air conditioning" when it`s cold outside.

is there a replacement product for rainX that DOES work? some sort of polish or glaze or something?...and thanks for your concern and yes I know to put the A/C on but it takes a few minutes

jinxxycat
03-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Actually, you don`t have to remember to put on the A/C, the system turns it on automatically, you have to switch over to heat manually if you want the heater on.

Jonny_venus
03-17-2004, 03:21 PM
After washing/drying I use Autoglym fast glass, then polish with their glass polish, then apply rainx, the best way i have been able to get a crystal clear finish is to lightly mist glass with water then buff with old news papers (old tip from granny) lol

Yours hands will be black, but your windows will be crystal clear !

PK

vapore0n
03-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by PK1

After washing/drying I use Autoglym fast glass, then polish with their glass polish, then apply rainx, the best way i have been able to get a crystal clear finish is to lightly mist glass with water then buff with old news papers (old tip from granny) lol

Yours hands will be black, but your windows will be crystal clear !

PK

old news papers is the way to clean windows. Use your windex, or buy something for car windows that doesnt have that amonia smell, and spray, wipe till clean spotless. I use newspapers when cleaning for installing tints.

Sveta
03-17-2004, 04:38 PM
Wurth Rubber Care, spray or stick is some good stuff for door seals, hoses, etc., IMO. I also use 3M Rubber Conditioner and Tire Dressing and sometimes Meg #40. Windows- MF and distilled water. Mineralization? Bartenders Friend. (Like you use for glass cooktops.) I believe Wurth and especially 3M know their chemicals. Just my opinion, you understand. Yes,yes.:usa

maecrispy
04-26-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by lairdness

is there a replacement product for rainX that DOES work? some sort of polish or glaze or something?...and thanks for your concern and yes I know to put the A/C on but it takes a few minutes

I had the same problem on my new TL. Hard to believe a new car`s windows can look so crappy straight from the dealer.

Anyway, since it was just minor hazing and a few spots, I used Zaino Z-12 glass polish to remove all of that.

Then, I sealed with WG. Then, I QD with Z-6 regularly and use Mf towels. Makes water bead like crazy.

In the rain, it`s kind of mesmerizing, really. My front windshield is raked pretty low so in rain and going 60+, water just beads in rows and goes from bottom of windshield to the roof. Most of the time, I don`t even use wipers.