PDA

View Full Version : Detail Certified

topgunrcf
03-16-2004, 05:51 PM
Many people claim to be professional detailers, and seeing some of there work one can only guess what "professional" stands for. Are there any organizations that certify detailers, which suggests that one has met all the the standards and criteria to perform such work?

Kanchou
03-16-2004, 06:01 PM
I`m curious too.

god i hope its not a government agency that mandates a liscence. . . .

like all the stupid things in Louisianna they have. .

tom p.
03-16-2004, 06:16 PM
In the broadest sense, it indicates someone is compensated for a performing a task they routinely perform. I don`t think it necessarily is an indication of expertise or competence.

If you are trying to locate a detailer in your area, you could ask around to see if you can find someone with a good reputation and inspect their work.

topgunrcf
03-16-2004, 06:43 PM
It just believe that if there was some type of certifcation, the end result would benefit the detailer as well as the consumer. The consumer in knowing that the Detailer is quailified, and to help the Detailer in solidify a warranted reputation, and increase fees. I`m surprised that none of the detail product manufacturers have programs

Scottwax
03-16-2004, 11:26 PM
Just because someone may be certified doesn`t mean they do good work. Look at all the lousy ASE Certified mechanics out there.

imported_ajbarnes
03-17-2004, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Just because someone may be certified doesn`t mean they do good work. Look at all the lousy ASE Certified mechanics out there.

Absolutely true.

It may be okay to look for certified detailer`s, but it is definitely better to get referrals from previous customer`s, etc. Ask to see pictures of his work, have him/her explain their methods of detailing a vehicle and what products they use, etc. to determine if you should give a detailer the opportunity to serve you.

imported_pugoman
03-17-2004, 06:47 AM
`Professional` just means that someone makes a living out of what they do - it certainly doesn`t mean they`re any good.

Recommendation is the best certificate IMO.

HEK
03-17-2004, 07:26 AM

My point too....and if the state you live in doesn`t certify, well like someone mentioned before check out their work....I`m not certified to work as a mechanic but I bet I can do better or as good a job as Honda technitian....give me the same tools and TIP letters....same goes for any other technical job.... :cool:

togwt
03-17-2004, 08:22 AM
Anyone who detail cars to Autopia standards is certifiable

My family and friends told me I should seek professional help, that’s why I’m here… :bounce

reconbyfire
03-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by BlackRegal

Actually, several detailing product manufacturers offer "certifications". For example Meguiars offers a certification program, and advertises "certified detailers" on one of its websites. AutoInt/Valugard offers "Professional Trusted Detailers". I`m sure there are others...

Unfortunately, these manufacturer "certifications" are typically little more than an indication that the detailer in question has paid that manufacturer for a couple of days of training, and purchases detailing supplies from the manufacturer. In these cases, the "certification" is more of a marketing platform than an honest attempt to guarantee any level of competence to the consumer. The detailer benefits from the "name recognition" of the manufacturers certification, and obviously the more business the detailer does, the more product the manufacturer sells.

In the case of AutoInt/Valugard, I believe the determining factor of their "Gold, Silver, Bronze" Professional Trusted Detailers rating system is simply the quantity of product that the detialer in question purchases from AutoInt...

AutoInt does NOT CHARGE for their course. They firmly believe in their product;therefore, they train the detailer for free. Yes, FREE. You pay for travel and lodging.

Get the facts before you `slam` a company........

EDIT: I meant CARBRITE NOT AUTO INT.....Sorry for the Misinfo...and sorry Regal for the hit...

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by topgunrcf

Many people claim to be professional detailers, and seeing some of there work one can only guess what "professional" stands for. Are there any organizations that certify detailers, which suggests that one has met all the standards and criteria to perform such work?

At the present time there are no organizations that certify all professional detailers.

Maybe that`s because not everyone is ready to agree on what the standards and criteria should be to perform professional detailing work. You also have to remember that the detailing industry, as we know it, hasn`t been around all that long. Sure, people have been polishing and waxing cars for decades. However, detailing as we know it today, has not been offered as a professional service to the retail customer for much more than about the last twenty years.

I remember when I started my own mobile detailing business back in 1986. Some people actually thought that detailing a car only meant to add pinstripes and such. During these years the retail detailing customer has gained much more insight into what to expect when they have there car professionally detailed.

In summary, detailing as we know it today has evolved into everything we now take for granted. Believe me, it wasn`t always that way.

reconbyfire
03-17-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by BlackRegal

I got my "facts" from AutoInts own website...here. (http://www.autoint.com/PrepExcellenceSchool%20Registration.htm)

"PrepExcellence Schools are conducted once a month. The cost of our PrepExcellence School is $285.00 per person. You are also responsible for your own transportation and accommodations. "

All I can go by is publicly available information. If you are privvy to some "inside" information, feel free to share it, but don`t bash me simply relaying the facts as they are presented.

Also, before you get in too big of a yank, I wasn`t "slamming" anyone... I was just pointing out that a certification from a detailing product manufacturer wasn`t necessarily and indication of a skilled detailer. If I were a professional detailer, I`d probably try to get every "certification" possible for marketing reasons, but I would take it upon myself to ensure that my skills are up to snuff.

Regal...I `publically` apologize :nixweiss ....I was on the phone as I was typing the above.......You are CORRECT! I meant to type Carbrite NOT AutoInt in my above reply to your statement. Carbrite is free and local to you and I in Michigan..it is in Indianapolis. The next class is someitme in June or July...they arent sure of a date yet..:nixweiss

reconbyfire
03-17-2004, 09:53 AM
We hold these classes 6 - 8 times per year in our Indianapolis training facility. The classes last two days (Monday & Tuesday), and feature both classroom and "hands on" training on Car Brite`s recommended reconditioning process. There is no charge for the class (other than your travel, lodging and meal expenses). The next scheduled class is 3/15 & 16, but it is full. We`ll have a class in June but the data has not be finalized, as yet. Thanks

LightngSVT
03-17-2004, 10:09 AM
Cool, I want to go to the free class. What is their website and how do you register for the class?

lairdness
03-17-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by tom p.

In the broadest sense, it indicates someone is compensated for a performing a task they routinely perform. I don`t think it necessarily is an indication of expertise or competence

2 very good points...same thing in the Computer industry...I`m fairly good at what I do with no certs.....and I know a ton of yahoos with certs that couldn`t pull their own thumbs out of their asses......I would much sooner trust a guy with a good rep on my car than some 18 yr old nose picker with a peice of paper......