PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions

TCMach
03-15-2004, 05:12 PM
I`ve just gotten a new car and would like to start the "paint protection and keep it looking new" work. I`ve read the "how to" articles...was thinking of going the Zaino route.

Z2 is a polish...is it also a wax? Zaino site says not to top Z with any other products.

I`ve got a dark metallic grey paint...looking for both protection and showroom shine...looking for any input on combo of products, from wash and polish to wax.

I also checked the Meguers site...they recommended the "Gold Class Prem Wash, Deep Crystal Polish and the Gold Class Clear Coat Wax....

Thanks -- TC

dmatre
03-15-2004, 08:47 PM
Welcome!

If you search here, you`ll probably find as many different opinions regarding waxes/sealants as you will find replies.

In my opinion, there are many good options, and proper use of any of them will yeild great results.

Meguiars, Zaino, Klasse, Pinnacle, and others come highly recommended by people on this forum.

The truth is: knowledge and preparation are 95% of the way to a perfect shine. The product is only the final 5%.

Hang out on the forum for a while. Soak up the information. Learn from the problems and/or mistakes of others. Then apply this information to your work on your car.

Where in NC are you? There are several here from the Charlotte area that I`ve noticed.

imported_BretFraz
03-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by dmatre

Welcome!

If you search here, you`ll probably find as many different opinions regarding waxes/sealants as you will find replies.

In my opinion, there are many good options, and proper use of any of them will yeild great results.

Meguiars, Zaino, Klasse, Pinnacle, and others come highly recommended by people on this forum.

The truth is: knowledge and preparation are 95% of the way to a perfect shine. The product is only the final 5%.

Hang out on the forum for a while. Soak up the information. Learn from the problems and/or mistakes of others. Then apply this information to your work on your car.

Where in NC are you? There are several here from the Charlotte area that I`ve noticed.

I could not have said it better myself. If anything this community is all about "input". Read posts, read articles, dig thru the archives, learn and decide for yourself what to use and how to use it.

About Z2, its not a "polish" in the traditional sense in that it doesn`t remove defects by abrasion or chemical action. There is no wax in Zaino, its a pure polymer sealant and probably the most sophisticated product of its kind. Its called a polish more as a term than anything. Its not called a wax because its not a wax.

TCMach
03-15-2004, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the replies...

I`m over in Fayetteville...although, currently out of town until June with the exception of getting home once a month to see the family. Left the new car in the hanger back home and wanted to start working on the paint next time I get home for a visit in mid-April...so I have time to read the boards here and soak up more info.

However, seems like the more I read the more I get confused...never realized how much stuff was out there! And want to keep this car in perfect condition...

From what I`ve read, I need to prep the paint with a wash, clay, then polish...then wax from there. Still a little confused over the diff between a "glaze" and a "polish"...they both act as sealants, right?

How bout those Panthers....what a great Super Bowl...almost thought we had it.

TC

chris0626
03-16-2004, 01:16 AM
I, for one, will happily applaud your inclination to go with Zaino. I love it on my white Jag. Pix are in my Autopia gallery. (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34460)

As bretfraz has said, it`s an excellent polymer sealant. One word of caution: Because Zaino is "optically perfect," it`s best suited for a car whose paint is nearly flawless. If you have scratches and swirls, Zaino will sorta magnify those. So ... if you go with Z ... put lots of effort into polishing beforehand.

Originally posted by TCMach From what I`ve read, I need to prep the paint with a wash, clay, then polish...then wax from there. Still a little confused over the diff between a "glaze" and a "polish"...they both act as sealants, right?

A polish is an abrasive -- designed to eliminate swirls/scratches. A glaze will typically fill in remaining scratches. Therefore, for example, sometimes folks will polish (3M polishes, Meguiars DACP and other polishes, etc.), then top with a glaze like Megs #7 (Show Car Glaze). Afterwards, you may add a wax. But if you go with Zaino, you should NOT use any glaze under the Z layer. Yep, as you said it can get fairly confusing.

Since you seem to be taking a fairly methodical approach to this, I’d recommend that you read the Autopia Guide to Detailing (http://autopia-carcare.com/tps-accgtd-cd.html) – it only costs $9.95, and that money helps to support Autopia … so it’s a good cause. :up You can also find lots of good, basic info for free by reading David`s articles at the "Learn" icon at the top of the page.

Keep reading, and let us know how we can help. :wavey

dmatre
03-16-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by TCMach

From what I`ve read, I need to prep the paint with a wash, clay, then polish...then wax from there. Still a little confused over the diff between a "glaze" and a "polish"...they both act as sealants, right?

How bout those Panthers....what a great Super Bowl...almost thought we had it.

TC

You`re exactly on the right track. First, wash the car carefully (use the two-bucket method), then clay, then polish.

There are as many opinions regarding polish brands as there are on waxes/sealants. If your paint is in good shape, you may only need a fine polish. If the paint has some deeper swirls/spots/scuffs, you may need a coarser polish.

The problem is that different manufacturers market their polishes differently, so what is a fine-cut polish to one maker, is a more coarse polish to another.

If you are going to get a coarse and fine polish, my recommendation would be to get both from the same maker (Meguiars, Mezerna, 1Z, Griot`s Garage, etc.). This way you can be certain that you are getting both a coarse and a fine polish.

After the paint looks perfect, THEN you can apply your wax/sealant.

Be sure to take your time, and not to rush the wash/clay/polish process. This is where the `pop` comes from.

Re: Panthers . . . It was probably the most exciting game I`ve ever seen. I still don`t feel like they lost, it seems like they just ran out of time. Both teams were great, and hopefully we can even things up next year!