PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Eagle One wheel cleaners?

DaveInLA
03-15-2004, 01:59 PM
Eagle One Mag wheel cleaner is their strongest product, but I don`t know if it`s safe on my cars` wheels. Mag cleaner says that it`s meant for use on as-cast wheels that feel a little rough, and mine don`t. I have what people simply refer to as "alloy wheels".

Then there`s the A2Z wheel cleaner which is suposedly safe for all finishes. It`s also used as a tire cleaner as well. This is stronger than the Aluminum Wash cleaner, which is ideal for aluminum and anodized wheels. The Aluminum wash is the most gentle cleaner there is, and I`m tempted to get it, but if the A2Z is safe for all wheels, why not just get that instead?

Anyway, if this helps any, I`ve got a 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5SL (16" 6-spoke alloy wheels) and a 1989 BMW 325is with the alloy "basketweave" wheels. I believe the BMW wheels are factor-painted. I don`t know if either set of wheels is clearcoated.

thanks

imported_biohazard
03-15-2004, 02:13 PM
i would say both of your wheels are clearcoated....A2Z is an excellent product for what it costs. it has cleaned any wheel i ever threw at it. however it did once leave a hazy spot on a wheel that i left it on for too long. it says to use it dry but i always use it on wet wheels to prevent this problem again. it works just as well on a wet wheel.

andriver
03-15-2004, 02:36 PM
I agree with BlackRegal. I only use it as needed. Otherwise, I usually wash my wheels with carwash.

BillNorth
03-15-2004, 02:53 PM
I use A2Z and have found my rims to `feel` dull after. It is definately a strong product. I fear that constant use WILL in fact damage my rims. Be careful. I only use dedicated wheel cleaners during my first big detail of the year (in spring) to wash away the winter grime. From then on in all I use is regular car wash soap, as BlackRegal has suggested.

Bill. :up

DaveInLA
03-15-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by BillNorth

I use A2Z and have found my rims to `feel` dull after.

Bill. :up

What do you mean by they "feel" dull? Are they not as smooth anymore? Do they look different?

Anyway, what`s a good sealant after washing the wheels?

thanks

tom p.
03-15-2004, 03:00 PM
Be cautious when using on a windy day. The product works well and you could probably select something "milder" unless you are dealing with severe dusting or don`t clean the wheels on a regular (weekly) basis.

andriver
03-15-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by DaveInLA

What do you mean by they "feel" dull? Are they not as smooth anymore? Do they look different?

thanks

I usually use Klasse SG. Although, I recently used 1Z Glanz Wax about two weeks ago and it seems to be holding up.

DaveInLA
03-15-2004, 03:21 PM
One of the cars I drive has a real problem with brake dust, especially on the front 2 wheels. And the design of the wheel makes it awfully difficult to clean all the way (tons of little grooves, hard to get at). That`s why I want a spray-and-rinse cleaner instead of something I have to wipe off.

Anyway, does anybody know if these cleaners are will damage brakes? My friend used a different wheel cleaner, and his brakes started to squeak for a little while.

BillNorth
03-15-2004, 03:25 PM

thanks

The rims are still smooth, but when I run my finger across the surface it doesn`t glide easily. It seems to jump a bit. The rim itself looks fine, but as I said before, I fear that constant use of A2Z will eventually dull it.

The rim doesn`t have the same silky smooth feel as when I use P21S wheel cleaner, hands down the best on the market. Unfortunately it`s expensive for what you get.

As for sealants, I use Klasse SG on my rims. Any quality sealant will suffice though.

Bill :up

andriver
03-15-2004, 03:28 PM

One of the cars I drive has a real problem with brake dust, especially on the front 2 wheels. And the design of the wheel makes it awfully difficult to clean all the way (tons of little grooves, hard to get at). That`s why I want a spray-and-rinse cleaner instead of something I have to wipe off.

Anyway, does anybody know if these cleaners are will damage brakes? My friend used a different wheel cleaner, and his brakes started to squeak for a little while.

Read this article http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=41

tom p.
03-15-2004, 03:30 PM

That`s why I want a spray-and-rinse cleaner instead of something I have to wipe off.

A few are close but there is no way to achieve thorough cleaning without a bit of agitation.

DaveInLA
03-16-2004, 01:15 AM
I did a search on this product, and it turns out that some people say it`s a good idea to dilute it 1:2 first. Is it really that strong when not diluted?

Also, is it safe to use this if I`m not going to wash my car? I`m afraid of some spray hitting the fenders and harming the paint. I just washed my car, but I`m really curious to try out this new A2Z spray!

AdamJoe
03-16-2004, 06:56 AM
Do not use the Eagle One mag cleaner on your rims if they are painted or clear coated or polished! Its intended purpose is on raw casted or forged aluminum. If you want a demonstration on what it can do, open your hood and spray on an inconspiquous spot of raw cast aluminum. Usually your alternator. Notice it chemically reacts with the aluminum and starts to foam. Now take a wheel brush or tooth brush and scrub. Then rinse. You will bea able to see what I`m talking about. This method is good to use on raw cast exhaust tips, or engine components that are old and neglected. Do this on something that you feel is ok to practice on for your fist time.

tchart
03-16-2004, 12:31 PM
If you want some good answers, go to www.gurureports.org and get their tire and wheel cleaner issue. They test a whole bunch of products and grade them. It`s a great magazine (get the window cleaner one and the wax test one too - but those are for another topic)!

Vincent Vega
03-16-2004, 02:21 PM
I have been using EO A2Z lately. I find it works quite well. A thin wheel brush helps in between spokes. I think it is most effective with minor agitation. It did `OK` as a spray and rinse. I will scrub a little anyway.