PDA

View Full Version : Wax on top of Sealed Paint

Fleet
03-15-2004, 01:08 PM
I`m starting a new thread here, because my last one got a little off track.

I have had my Envoy`s paint sealed by an aftermarket company. This is the same basic idea of the dealer offering to seal the paint for life.

I understand this will not last for life. I want to maintain this nice finish, though. I am thinking of waxing on top of the sealed paint. What product would you recommend? As I see it, this is no different than waxing over a paint sealer from Zaino after it cured.

I`m sure no one has experience doing this, but can anyone give a recommendation?

Thanks

Accumulator
03-15-2004, 06:45 PM
Fleet- Not knowing what`s on there, I`d say to choose something that`s sorta low on solvent action. Maybe my standard recommendation- Meguiar`s #16. But note that it might cause trouble when they "refresh" the sealant stuff, which I assume they do every six months or so.

Fleet
03-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am not planning on getting any more reapplications. I am starting "fresh". From here on out, I want to wax the SUV myself with no paint protection. I want to be a true Autopian, and get an orbital and have fun detailing my vehicle.

I want to use the sealed paint as a base, and build from there. Any recommendations on how to start?

Thanks

raymond_ho2002
03-15-2004, 07:12 PM
If you want to start fresh, you can just ignore its presence on your paint. It probably isn`t much different than any of other sealants people around here use, so it can be polished off or waxed over.

Decide first whether you want to use a carnauba wax, or a synthetic sealant.. or a combination of both.

-Raymond

Accumulator
03-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Yeah, in that case, what raymond_ho2002 said :xyxthumbs

Using some low-solvent last step product now will let you take advantage of the sealant that`s still on there. There are a few LSPs that will qualify here, mostly carnaubas, but I think UPP might work OK for you too. Haven`t tried Wolfgang yet, but that might be another one. Just don`t pick something like Glanz (too solventy) or Klasse (not right now) or Zaino (ditto).

After a while, I bet you`ll have *some* kind of marring to contend with and whatever you use for that will cut the sealant right off, giving you a (truly) clean slate.

Scottwax
03-16-2004, 12:05 AM
I`d go with a good paste wax.