PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a good Rotary Buffer

Pages : [1] 2

imported_memnuts
03-15-2004, 08:54 AM
Local vendors - Lowes?

Brands available

Best and average price for a good Rotary.

TIA

imported_memnuts
03-15-2004, 09:24 AM
Makita 9227CX3 7" Right Angle Polisher / Light Sander

$179.00

Standard Equipment

Hex Wrench

Hook & Loop Pad

Accessories

Polisher Accessories

7" Abrasive Discs: 7/8" Arbor Hole Included for a

Limited Time!

Polisher Accessories

Includes 21" tool bag, 7" compound pad, and a 7" polishing pad. A $50 value!

Specifications

Amperage: 10.0

No-load RPM: 0 - 3,000

Sanding Disc: 7" (180mm)

Spindle Thread: 5/8" - 11 UNC

Length: 181/2" (470mm)

Weight: 6.6 lbs (3.0 kg)

Features

Variable speed with pre-set maximum speed dial – ideal for ultra slow polishing.

Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load.

Easily converts to a sander.

Fast and powerful polishing for clear-coat finishes.

Lock-0n button for continuous use at one speed.

Is this rotary okay? Looks perfect for minor detailing corrections that PC is just not adequate.

dternst
03-15-2004, 09:38 AM
Harbour Freight has the same model for 159.99.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=37642

JimS
03-15-2004, 09:45 AM
That`s what I bought....based on the recommendatin of my friend who owns a body shop and has used his Makita for over 10 years with no break downs and perfect performance.

imported_memnuts
03-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Thanks soooo much guys. Appreciate your rapid responses. :bow

Accumulator
03-15-2004, 10:32 AM
blkZ28Conv- Heh heh, so you`re gonna step up to a rotary too, huh? I think you`ll like it...there are times when it`s just the right thing.

Give a little thought to how YOU will use it. I ended up going with the Makita 9227CY with the 90 degree side handle (like that on the PC) instead of the "hoop" handle. It was a more natural progression for *ME* compared to getting the hang of something totally different. I end up taking the handle OFF a lot of the time, just like with the PC (which virtually NEVER has its handle on).

BradE
03-15-2004, 10:40 AM
DeWalt DW849 for all the reasons BlackRegal said. It`s old school, baby. :D

:bow: to DeWalt 849

imported_memnuts
03-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

blkZ28Conv- Heh heh, so you`re gonna step up to a rotary too, huh? I think you`ll like it...there are times when it`s just the right thing.

Give a little thought to how YOU will use it. I ended up going with the Makita 9227CY with the 90 degree side handle (like that on the PC) instead of the "hoop" handle. It was a more natural progression for *ME* compared to getting the hang of something totally different. I end up taking the handle OFF a lot of the time, just like with the PC (which virtually NEVER has its handle on).

Yes, I think I need to graduate up to rotary for some blemishes ( etching) that the PC just can not handle. They are far less evident now after PC`ing SEVERAL times but under certain light angles they are quite evident to me.

Fortunately, these blemishes are only on the hood. Plus it is time to advance my skills and increase my detailing ability :xyxthumbs

Now I just have to figure out the pad / backing plate situation so that I can order everything at one time. :wavey

Accumulator
03-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Now I just have to figure out the pad / backing plate situation so that I can order everything at one time. :wavey

I got the larger ("regular" for a rotary) plate with mine, but I prefer using 6.5" pads, so I got the appropriate flex plate from CMA. I also got the small one (maybe 3" ?) which I use with my Cyclo pads for localized repairs.

I think you`ll find the pad selection/application goes about the same as with the PC, only with fewer applications for a finishing pad. Plus you can do a lot more with polishing pads so there`s a LITTLE less use of cutting ones (depending on your product choices). The pad interchangeability is another reason I like using 6.5" pads with both the rotary and the PC. *VERY* handy.

imported_memnuts
03-15-2004, 12:53 PM
Accumulator,

I can get a 6" backing plate from CMA to fit the Makita 9227CY and use the same 6.5 inch pads I justed purchased from Meguiar`s for my PC? That would be GREAT. I feel I would have better control with the 6.5" pads.

TIA

jessispop
03-15-2004, 01:29 PM
I just bought the Metabo yesterday it should be here by the end of the week. It`s a little more money than the others, but I like the fact that it is around the same size and weight as the PC, but only a rotary.

imported_Greg
03-15-2004, 02:05 PM
I was in the same situation and went with the DeWalt. I have no problems with it at all. Its got a real heavy, but balanced feel. Its old school baby. I was scared at first, but the lowest speed setting is pretty slow and allows you to work up to faster speed. I got the flexible urethane backing plate 6 1/8" from CMA and then 7 1/2 in pads from TOL. I couldn`t be happier.

Also- got the DeWalt from Harbor Freight- took about 8 days to get to my house.

imported_jgv
03-15-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by jessispop

I just bought the Metabo yesterday it should be here by the end of the week. It`s a little more money than the others, but I like the fact that it is around the same size and weight as the PC, but only a rotary.

Thats the one I have for a year now, does what the `big boys` do but doesn`t weight as much. It`s only inconvenient would be if you`re buffing cars all day, it might not old as well a DeWalt...

I think it would be the right one for you Edwin :xyxthumbs

imported_jgv
03-15-2004, 03:53 PM
Here`s a side-by-side picture of both the Metabo and the PC

Accumulator
03-15-2004, 07:03 PM
blkZ28Conv- Yah, just make sure you order the 6" (maybe it`s 6.125" like Greg said) flex plate for the ROTARY, not the 5" one for the PC ;) BTW, Meg`s pads often last a lot longer on a rotary than they do on the PC. They were made for the rotary and the PC`s "jiggle action" is sorta tough on them by comparison.

Greg- Yeah, I ALMOST went with the Dewalt. It reminded me of the Milwaukee I used back in the day. That IS a nice unit.

But no one needs to worry about the Makita holding up; I know guys who`ve used them every day for years with no problems.

jgv- Where`s the on/off switch located on that Metabo? Is it on top like the PC? Sorta looks like it in your pic.