PDA

View Full Version : New car...

Shenlon
03-14-2004, 11:14 PM
Hello everyone, I believe this is my first post here but i`ve been to the board a few times. The situation is thus: I just got my car back home (Black/black 2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 :) ) from buying it in Fort Worth, TX. I live just south of Richmond, VA. In 2 days I put around 1400 miles on it driving it back. The car has been well maintained, the original owner kept it waxed (paid a company to do it so he doesn`t know what they used) and very clean. The car is in good condition, with the only exception being all the bugs and dust, etc. that have accumulated in the 1400 miles back (rain too....uggh did not want that to ever happen, but oh well).

So, now since this is the first car I`ve ever had that is in the condition to keep looking like new, I want to do that. I need advice on what to buy and the steps to take from here. I know the basics, wash, prep, polish, etc. But I need to know some more of the specifics now. I am leaning towards Meguiars products because I can purchase them locally, and do not have to deal with the wait for buying something online. As far as washing it, what tools do I need? I have heard that using an electronic leaf blower to dry the car is a good way to avoid extra swirls from drying by hand and is perfectly safe providing you keep a safe distance from the paint. Are all clay bars equal? Or should I spend the extra cash and buy high quality? Give me any and all advice you can, please. Thanks so much in advance

P.S. If this is posted in the wrong area, please forgive me and move it to the correct area.

Antonio Wright
03-14-2004, 11:27 PM
Welcome to the board! All your questions can be answered using the search engine.

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-15-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Shenlon

As far as washing it, what tools do I need?

I have heard that using an electronic leaf blower to dry the car is a good way to avoid extra swirls from drying by hand and is perfectly safe providing you keep a safe distance from the paint.

Are all clay bars equal? Or should I spend the extra cash and buy high quality?

Shenlon,

I would recommend using a sheepskin mitt and either Meguiar`s or your favorite brand name car wash soap.

As far as drying, I would not recommend using a leaf blower. I just don`t believe it`s a good idea to blast a vehicle with high speed unfiltered air. I would rather see you use something like a synthetic chamois, such as the Absorber.

Since I really do not use clay, I cannot comment on their use.

Just a few thoughts...

Accumulator
03-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Shenlon- All clay is NOT created equal! Mother`s, Clay Magic, and the Autopian "block" are good, and I hear the *NEW* Meguiar`s clay is a lot better than their old stuff.

*I* sure wouldn`t try to save money when it comes to products for a black car.

Wash with soft (no synthetics!) mitts and the two-bucket method. Dry with WW MF.

Which Meg`s products you need will be determined by the condition on your paint. Think about using polishes in the "80s" line (#82 SFO, #81 Hand Glaze, etc.) and top with your choice of last step product.

imported_Macgirl
03-15-2004, 10:49 AM
:welcome

Are all clay bars equal? Or should I spend the extra cash and buy high quality?

The Clay Magic kit isn`t that expensive and you can pick it up at Autozone or Walmart for $10 and it can last you for a while. In fact I saw in the Good Deals forum that some Walmart`s have the kit on clearance for $7. Someone also noted that you should check and make sure the package is sealed in shrink wrap because the packages have been know to be missing the clay; or at least if its open check to see that it includes the clay and the lube.

Also, if you are applying your products by hand, make sure you purchase a cleaner/polish that can be used that way. Some products work best when applied by machine, so don`t get something that isn`t going to do its best for you. There should be some mention on the directions on the label.

Good luck and enjoy your new interest :)