PDA

View Full Version : First time detailing my car

IntrstlarOvrdrv
03-14-2004, 06:54 PM
Well today I finally got around to detailing my car with all my new supplies. I realized I had a lot more paint defects than I had before realized, many scratches and paint chips I had never noticed. I polished my hood, roof, and trunk with 1Z Ultra, and Paint polish, but it started raining and I could not finish the sides. Since I had clay bared the entire car I had to hurry up and wax. It began to rain, which made me mad because it was so nice earlier:mad: . I finally finished everything with s100 just to get some wax on it, but I am still not as satisfied as I would like. There are still spider webs under the halogen lights, and there are so many imperfections. I`ll get pictures up tomorrow when it is light, and maybe I will have finished the wheels and tires by then, but right now I have had enough for the day:up

Accumulator
03-14-2004, 07:17 PM
IntrstlarOvrdrv- The first major detail is often more demanding and less satisfying then one might expect. Remember where you are on the learning curve, it DOES get easier and less frustrating.

Remember that the 1Z polishes have some wax in them, so you don`t really need to apply a separate wax right after polishing with them.

Be sure to work the 1Z polishes long enough for them to break down. Assuming you did that, your remaining swirls, etc. are probably just the same thing MOST people still have after their first big job. Maybe get the sides polished with the 1Z, then choose *a* panel to work more thoroughly and just concentrate your efforts on that, rather than trying to do the whole car at once. Things can really take a while working by hand and PC.

IntrstlarOvrdrv
03-14-2004, 07:20 PM
I used a black and decker rotary buffer on the hood, and used a wool bonnet with the 1Z paint polish, it seemed to really work, but there is still a lot to be desired.

JimS
03-15-2004, 09:17 AM
Be really careful with the polisher and the wool pad. It`s easy to cut too deeply with the wool pad.