PDA

View Full Version : Can I or should I wax my wheels?

lj1980
03-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Hi Everyone,

Been lurking here for some time, what great info!

I have Boyd Coddintone Wheels (the ones on the Coddington Rouche) and I don`t know what to do with them. I got some polish and they look great now, but I am wondering if these can or should be waxed as well.

I am attempting to keep this car looking it`s best and I am a newbie at all this and overwhelmed by all the information. Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA,

lu

Accumulator
03-14-2004, 07:09 PM
lj1980- Welcome to Autopia! Yeah, wax/seal your wheels with your last step product of choice (preferably something durable). Even with the heat of use and cleaning with wheel cleaners, it`s well worth doing. More protection means less chance that they`ll get messed up by things like pad dust, little specks of worn-off rotor, tar, you name it. And it`ll decrease the frequency with which you`ll have to polish them and make dirt wash off with less scrubbing (meaning less effort and less chance of marring the wheels).

AMP01
03-14-2004, 08:20 PM
lj1980,

I have been using Klasse AIO topped with several layers of SG on my BMW wheels and it works great! Lest brake dust sticks to the wheels and what does stick wipes of with QD or car wash easily.

Cheers,

chris0626
03-15-2004, 11:55 PM
I am generally :bow to Accumulator, but this time I have to question the advice to wax your wheels. If you`re talking about a carnauba wax (like S100 etc), the heat generated on the wheels will "melt" the wax and lots of folks seem to report that the wheels then attract more dust. On the other hand, if you use a sealant (which lots of folks and even vendors use synonymously with the term "wax") like Zaino or Klasse, then YEPAROONIE! Go to it! It`ll make all your cleaning easier, will be durable, and will look great.

But since Accumulator has probably waxed/sealed about 5,000 more wheels than I have, I`ll wait for him to elaborate.

Chris Y.
03-16-2004, 12:23 AM
If there is any wax that will hold up to high temps, it`s Collinite!

On my wheels, I like to clean first with AIO, SG, then a final coat of Collinite #845 Insulator Wax. On my X5 and 745Li wheels (heavy dust), it seems to keep the wheels a lot cleaner between washes.

JimS
03-16-2004, 11:28 AM
You may if you can :)

I have chrome wheels and use EX sealant on them.