PDA

View Full Version : please help the newbie

Monk_04SER
03-14-2004, 06:45 PM
:wavey howdy all!!

well...i though i knew a little about detailing until i came here. man there is so much i never knew. anyways, i got an 04 nissan ser back in late november and it has been washed a few times with gold class. used a wool wash mitt and the absorber to dry with. well...now that spring is coming im looking to get in a full detail one weekend. my plan is to was with gold class, dry with ww towel, then clay with claymagic ( if im brave enough to try it ), followed by a wash with gold class, then 1z metallic polish. let sit overnight in the garage. then in the morning use 1z glanz wax on it and 1z rubber/vinyl care on the trim. but i have a couple of questions though. first off how does that process sound with those products? but my main question comes down to towels and pads. i will be using a terry applicator pad to apply the polish, then a ww to remove it, then topping it off with a mf. same for the wax but using a foam applicator. how does that sound so far? next up, for the trim would a ww or mf be better to apply the 1z rubber/vinyl care ( is that good for the trim? i want a matte finish ) to the textured exterior trim/plastic? and would a mf or ww be better to apply 1z cockpit premium on the interior? :nixweiss sorry for the same old questions, but i have searched and read through pages of info but nothing that really satisfies my questions. and im planning on buying some new stuff soon. thanks for any help and sorry for the long read.

:bow the masters

~Monk

Accumulator
03-14-2004, 07:26 PM
Monk_04SER- Welcome to Autopia. Some of your plan sounds fine, some needs a little tweaking, IMO. First, I can`t really help you with the trim, I do something very different on mine. But as for 1Z polishes and paint, OK..

You might need the Paint Polish, the Metallic is *VERY* mild. Apply either with foam or a MF, buff off with a MF (regular, NOT WW, IMO, though I know some like doing it that way). Some like using terry for applying, but if you do, make sure it`s *VERY* soft. I just use foam or MF, myself. Allocate more time than you think you`ll need; this doesn`t go fast.

Do the claying, it`s a good starting point. Just do it VERY gently with LOTS of lube.