PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing with bare hand or with a sandwich bag??

C-MDX
03-14-2004, 06:07 PM
You know how you rub your hand with a sandwich bag to tell you where you need to clay?? Can I skip the sandwich bag and just rub it by hand?? Will I feel it as good as with a sandwich bag?? BTW, will the skin marr the paint??

rstype
03-14-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by C-MDX

You know how you rub your hand with a sandwich bag to tell you where you need to clay?? Can I skip the sandwich bag and just rub it by hand?? Will I feel it as good as with a sandwich bag?? BTW, will the skin marr the paint??

You gotta be kidding, right? Try it yourself.

C-MDX
03-14-2004, 06:32 PM
What? :confused:

Accumulator
03-14-2004, 07:03 PM
The argument goes something like: you`ll feel and hear contaminants better with the bag or a piece of cellophane than you will with your bare hand. True? Opinions vary.

Your skin won`t mar your paint unless your skin is, uhm, unusually hard and your paint is unusually soft. Like, *VERY* unusual ;)

luke667
03-15-2004, 04:22 AM
*genetic engineering* ppl with MF hands hehe

chris0626
03-16-2004, 12:14 AM
I just use my hand. Never got the "sandwich bag" thing. BTW, what I actually use is the inside of my wrist -- the place where women put cologne. Reasoning is -- our hands/fingers get sorta "toughened up" due to all the work they do. But that part of your body is seldom touched, so it`s a little more sensitive.

[And, no, that is NOT an opening for conjectures on other parts of the body that might be very sensitive!! :D ]

imported_Dave Holmes
03-16-2004, 03:05 AM
Lynn,

You beat me to it with your last sentence! I gather you are saying it is adequate to use the inside of our wrists, as they are sensitive enough? No need to go to jail for something that would be hard to explain to a judge, huh?

Back to topic, I`ve never used a sandwich bag. I`ve always used my fingertips. My palms just aren`t that sensitive anymore.

Dave

jasonatv22
03-16-2004, 09:47 AM
I never worry about either. I know I have some crap embedded adn a little paint overspray. Just clay if you feel you need to. It`s only $10.

C-MDX
03-16-2004, 03:07 PM
Can I use a ziplock bag instead of a sandwich bag?? I`m worry that it`ll scratch the finish some how :rolleyes:. Maybe I`m a chicken :o

imported_Intermezzo
03-16-2004, 04:02 PM
C-MDX, any thin cellophane material will be fine. Use Saran wrap if you`re worried about scratches.

I`ve used the wrap from a pack of cigarettes (wife is a smoker) and it truly does sensitize your ability to detect embedded contaminants. In fact, it magnifies your sensitivity so much, I think it`s impractical. If I were to determine whether or not I should clay my car based on how the surface felt with the aid of a cigarette wrap, then I`d be claying my car every month.

IMO, the finger (or wrist) is good enough.

C-MDX
03-16-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

C-MDX, any thin cellophane material will be fine. Use Saran wrap if you`re worried about scratches.

I`ve used the wrap from a pack of cigarettes (wife is a smoker) and it truly does sensitize your ability to detect embedded contaminants. In fact, it magnifies your sensitivity so much, I think it`s impractical. If I were to determine whether or not I should clay my car based on how the surface felt with the aid of a cigarette wrap, then I`d be claying my car every month.

IMO, the finger (or wrist) is good enough.

Thanks Intermezzo :xyxthumbs. The problem with fingers is that it sometimes leaves behind behind oil from your hands and you have to get rid of it with a MF :nixweiss