PDA

View Full Version : using dawn to pre-treat microfiber

III
09-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Does anyone do this? Ok to do? I was thinking of using dawn to get some grease stains out of my microfiber towels. I would rinse the dawn out before washing as I wouldn`t want any to get in the washer.

kimwallace
09-22-2004, 03:10 PM
I soak my MFs in Dawn prior to washing in the machine. Dawn seems to loosen or remove some of the residue better than laundry detergent. When washing I run a cycle without adding any detergent to get rid of the dawn and then follow up with a regular wash. I use hot water for everything.

blkSRT
09-22-2004, 03:38 PM
I thought hot water was a no on for MF?

kimwallace
09-22-2004, 03:49 PM
Hot water is fine ... you need to stay away from bleach and softener and maybe too hot of a dryer

III
09-22-2004, 03:53 PM
This is a very controversial topic. (hot water) My opinion here. As long as the water doesn`t get above 180 or 190 degrees you should be fine. I forget at exactly what temperature water boils at. No one in their right mind has their water heater set that high. Mine is set for 120 degrees and I wash my microfibers in that temperature with no problems. I use hot water because I feel the towels come out cleaner.

Just a side note here: I`ve boiled microfiber at 200 degrees for 10 minutes and didn`t notice any bad effects. (no melting) I did notice color fading just a tad, but that was it. Mind you, this was done with a quality microfiber towel from a vendor.

Woob
09-22-2004, 04:10 PM
I love PrepWash for those kinds of problems now. That stuff removes polymers/waxes in MF / pads / etc. Awesome stuff and its cheap!

NYV6Coupe
09-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Water boils at 212 F or 100 C.

My water heater is set for 125 degrees, anything hotter would run the risk of scalding but it`s OK to washing clothing including MF.

Pretty sure only a hospital or laundry service would use water hotter than this.