PDA

View Full Version : Broke down and got an orbital....

imported_ajbarnes
03-14-2004, 02:46 PM
That`s right. I figured I`ll give my hands some vacation time after this weekend`s nightmare exterior detail job I did on a 626 and a Vitara and try at a random orbital. This is my first time using a buffer. Every detail I`ve done has been by hand. I just decided I would experiment with it, learn, etc. Once I get the hang of it, I would use on customer`s vehicle`s that really need some work on the paint. For all the newer, luxury, great condition, etc. vehicles, I will stick to using my hands unless they have swirls, etc. I know that a PC is the best, but I want to learn, so therefore I figured I would start with an orbital. I got an inexpensive one from Pepboys....Vector Waxxpro 6" Waxer/Polisher VEC235.....of course this probably wouldn`t produce the kind of results you can get from a PC or a higher priced orbital....but again....I want to experiment and practice first. Any advice for first timers would greatly be appreciated! BTW, I love the results I get by hand, I just wanted to try this out....can`t go around calling myself a detailer and never used a buffer before.:D

Big Leegr
03-15-2004, 04:35 AM
I think you chose a good size. Most I see are the 10" orbitals. You can`t do between roof racks etc. with one that big. Also, once you get used to it, and if you decide to step up to a 7424 or something, you`ll already be familiar with the 6" pad they use. Plus, for just starting with a machine, you really aren`t going to be too likely to do anything damaging to the paint, especially since you already know how products perform by hand.

On the down side, they aren`t powerful at all. If you push too hard they stop spinning and just jiggle, possibly even stop altogether, if you push hard enough. Most of their parts are plastic, so you have to be careful about the load (can break a "bolt" on the spindle), just let the weight of the machine be enough. Any extra pressure and you`ll slow down the buffer.

On the plus side, if the car isn`t in bad shape, and you`re just applying non-abrasive polish or glaze, these work well enough. Especially if you have alot of surface area or lots of cars to do. You can get alot of area covered rather quickly, and without hard labor on your part. They can save your hands, but you may also get a little tingling from the vibrations.

Just my quick thoughts. I`m going to try a 7424 this year. My but do they spin fast!

imported_ajbarnes
03-15-2004, 06:57 AM
Great advice dude, thanks!:xyxthumbs

Scottwax
03-15-2004, 11:41 PM
I`ll be getting a PC too this year. Pretty much have to after a customer bought a new S500 with the PPG Ceramiclear coat. Besides, when my kids are here this summer, once I teach them how to use the PC, I will have no problems getting them to do the exteriors while I clean the interiors. They love using tools.

I`ll have to start lifting weights again though....:p

imported_ajbarnes
03-15-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I`ll have to start lifting weights again though....:p

Me too....I`m starting too get burnt out too quick now!:D

gav'spurplez
03-17-2004, 12:19 PM
I have a waxmaster orbital buffer. My paint is in great shape for the car being a 98. i plan on using the menzerna/blackfire combo this spring. I feel that the foam pads available for my buffer along with the products, the car will come out amazing. I have used a random polisher at work but honestly do not feel comfortable using it on my paint. That is just me.

:rolleyes:

Jake11375
03-17-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I`ll be getting a PC too this year.

:shocked I can`t believe you`re actually going to invest in a PC! (since you get such good results by hand) Can`t get much better results, but they will be faster. (I think):p

jasonatv22
03-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Hearing that Scottwax is going to buy a PC makes me fear that a meteorite will smash into the earth, or maybe a plague of frogs will come. Yikes.

membim
03-17-2004, 04:04 PM
I love my PC7424. It make the P21S polish go on evenly and speeds up the application process greatly.