PDA

View Full Version : First "Attempt" Detailing

HandsomeRob
03-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Well, after spending a couple of hundred dollars on detailing supplies I decided to give it a go today on my old Toyota Supra. It`s a 1987 Supra and I`ve had it for a couple of years and have never really taken care of it. Did the following:

(1) Wet the car and try to rinse off as much of the dirt and grime that had collected on the car for the past 6 months. (10 minutes)

(2) Using the two bucket method I proceeded to wash the car using a sheepskin mitt (from Costco) and Turtle Wax shampoo. What I immediately noticed that it was a great idea to have two buckets. The rinse bucket was dark brown after going thru half the car and the shampoo bucket was still clear. Also noticed that the surface of the car wasn`t smooth at all even through the plush mitt. There were several spots of bird doo and I managed to scrub most of them off with the mitt. Did the car in 5 sections rinsing after each section so the shampoo wouldn`t dry. (1 1/2 hours)

(3) Whipped out the CWB (wiped and cleaned beforehand) and tried to swipe off a section of water on the front windshield and was horrified by the sound that resulted. The CWB didn`t look to damage the glass so I tried the front hood. Same horrible sound. Decided to only use it for the glass from then on. Used my Absorber towel to pat dry the rest of the car. A long & tedious process (45 minutes).

Utter exhaustion set in. Took a 30 minute break.

(4) Using a microfiber towel (yellow - Costco) and Stoners Glass cleaner I wiped the windows down (25 minutes).

Now at this point I was going to use Klasse AIO to clean the car up but I was just bone tired. I had no desire to proceed any further even though my car looked a lot better. I`m beginning to think that detailing may not be as rewarding as I thought. I shudder to think about the learning curb for the Klasse twins and the use of the 7424 Porter cable pc I just bought.

Please tell me it gets better...

imported_Greg
03-13-2004, 11:25 PM
Welcome to Autopia! As many will agree with me, doing the dirty work, or getting a car back into great shape is the toughest part. Maintaining the finish is something that will be a lot easier once you get used to it. It sounds like you are on the right track. The learning curve for Klasse and the PC aren`t that difficult. Its really just getting into detailing mode. If you have any questions, just let us know.

imported_ajbarnes
03-14-2004, 12:40 AM
:welcome

If you take what Greg said and also just keep learning, practicing, experimenting, etc. you`ll gain a sense of passion (which is what gives us the energy) that majority of us here have when it comes to detailing. :xyxthumbs

CRXSi90
03-14-2004, 01:07 AM
Ya know, it sounds like you did a really good job. ;)

I don`t really have any comments on the wash other than you`ll get quicker with time. Experiment with bigger sections, and keep an eye on the soap so it doesn`t dry. You already knew that, though. I`ve used the 2-bucket method a few times myself, but I usually just spray the mitt with the hose if there is a noticable amount of dirt before I drop it into the bucket. Then you don`t have to carry around 2 buckets. Just a thought.

CWB? You have to get the hang of it. Maybe revisit it in a while. I use it at work [dealership] and don`t have one at home. I`m not sure if i`d feel comfortable using it on my paint, but it seems like a good tool. Your car probably wasn`t beading water too well this time, but after you get into waxing it, the water should run right off if you take the nozzle off the end of your hose and let it just flow over the surface.

I think you could cut down on the paint drying time. Honestly, I don`t use the blotting technique for drying. Recently, I`ve just been using regular microfiber towels to dry. I figure that they`re one of the safer things to come incontact with your paint, right? I just wipe up the water, or whatever it takes.

You missed out on what I think is the fun part of detailing. I usually run out of time + energy too, but when I get a chance, I love applying anything with the PC - in your case, you should try it with Klasse AIO. You shouldn`t be afraid of the PC...it is pretty easy to pick up and go with. If you`re hesitant, start with it on it`s lowest setting. I usually end up with it running on `3`, and I bet you will too by the time you finish the car. I really love applying a cleaner-wax like AIO with the PC...there is a high improvement/time ratio whenever I`ve used it.

Another thing that always makes detailing rewarding is using a tire dressing at the end of a detail. It really gives the car a great look.

Good Luck,

Kevin

andriver
03-14-2004, 01:08 AM
I would like to add that the paint will benefit from a good claying. Don`t give up, you are half way there.

Accumulator
03-14-2004, 12:08 PM
HandsomeRob- Welcome to Autopia! Heh heh, the first (real)cleanup is always a bear. Between your inexperience and the vehicle`s neglected condition, it`s always pretty tough at the first.

Washing and drying really do get easier. With experience, most people are able to do it a LOT faster than they could when they were just starting out.

I too think you oughta clay the car. You won`t believe what the clay pulls out/off the paint!

Once you get the car properly detailed and protected, subsequent upkeep is a LOT easier. The washing will go SO much faster!

The PC`s learning curve is nothing to worry about. You`ll see ;) It`s nothing more than a "fast hand". If anything you`ll be surprised it`s not MORE aggressive than it is. And *I* think the K twins are VERY easy to use. You`ll do fine.

imported_Aurora40
03-14-2004, 12:17 PM
LOL! Discouraged already and all you did was wash your car! Don`t worry, it gets better. Though, it sounds like you didn`t particularly enjoy washing your car? Maybe that`s what you should work on. It still takes me about 1.5 hours to wash and dry my car, or about 45 minutes to an hour with QEW... But I enjoy spending the time outside or in the garage going over my car.

The other thing is once your car is pretty clean and nicely waxed, it is much easier to wash next time. You won`t have 6 months of dirt and mud and bugs and salt and tar to wash off.

Do you have a garage? If so, then spread out your detail. Wash it in the morning, dry it, park it, and go do something else. Maybe come back that evening and clay the car. Then the next day give it a quick QDing and start your paintwork. Do the polishing or AIO or whatever. Then go do something else. Come back that evening and put a coat of wax or sealant on the car.

Oh, and be glad you have a small two-door. Imagine if you had a bigger car or a truck! Don`t be discouraged. Hopefully you`ll start to enjoy it more as you go. If not, maybe some simpler, less time intensive procedures are for you. Maybe you`ll want cleaner/waxes or spray-on stuff? You should enjoy what you are doing, or at least feel like it is worthwhile.

HandsomeRob
03-14-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement!! Quite honestly, I really needed to hear that from you guys...I was pretty discouraged after yesterday.

First, so you understand, I have never really taken care of the cars I`ve owned (2 altogether). They were both used cars and I never felt that they were really mine. In a month, I will be riding the first car that I bought for myself and that I really want. The new car is the reason I found this forum, bought the detailing supplies, and started practicing using my old Supra as the test case.

The method I used on the Supra is a "dry run" for the process I will use on the new car. I know it must sound pretty pathetic to tire after washing and drying the car but I`ve never really been as careful going thru the process and I really didn`t take a breather thru the 2+ hour ordeal. I was trying to rush it so I would have enough time to use the Klasse twins before the sun went down.

The interior is just as bad as the exterior and I get down just thinking about having to clean (w/ Woolite 6:1) it :(

I was planning to clay my sister`s car as practice. To be honest, I really didn`t want to put that much effort on the Supra. The exterior already has several paint chips, it was keyed, and there are remnants of acidic burns from bird doo that was left on the car for months :nono

I`m glad to hear that the PC will be easy to use. I got the kit from CoastalTool and pads from CMA. I do have to say that the sound the polisher makes is pretty horrible (grinding noise). Since you guys suggested it , I`ll use the PC for applying AIO instead of a microfiber pad by hand.:xyxthumbs

Lastly, do you guys ever have impromptu detailing classes so you can share your knowledge. I was planning on getting my Supra detailed at the local wash but decided against it because I felt uncomfortable asking the detailer if I could watch while he went through the process. :o

Thanks for the advice everyone!!!!! :bow :bow

Will try to use the PC today...it`s probably going to be another sad tale of woe :sosad LOL :)

DBC
03-14-2004, 01:11 PM
In the end it will all be worth it.The more you do,the more often you`ll want to do it.I can imagine more so when you have a brand spanking new vehicle.Keep at it!:xyxthumbs

robert

imported_hayless
03-14-2004, 01:42 PM
HandsomeRob,

Wow! It`s cool to hear of someone in the same situation I find myself. My wife and I recently bought a Honda Element. Wanting to ensure that it looks brand new for years to come, I found Autopia (which has been a wealth of knowledge--thanks everyone!), bought some product, read many hours (too many according to my wife), and cut my teeth on my 96 Accord beater. My Accord is similar to your Supra

Warning! Serious Autopians don`t read the following:

(I washed my Accord only every few months and even then I only run it through car washes [kept my swirls fresh ;)], I never vacuumed the carpets or cleaned the interior, and genrally neglected it for months on end)

Okay Autopians, you can resume reading here:

but there is hope. I have, with lots of elbow grease and patience, gotten some impressive results on the beater (I`ve used 1Z MP and PP so far). It`s very encouraging to give that old, worn, chipped paint a new lease on life.

The new car is simple to care for; the beater is hard work (especially the first time). Keep at it and you`ll begin to see the rewards.

Joey

Kleanride
03-14-2004, 02:37 PM
We call him HandsomeRob because he is handsome....

-Mark Walberg

Welcome to Autopia!

Not only does it get better, but in the not-so-distant future, you will probably start wanting to take days off of work to detail!

imported_Aurora40
03-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by HandsomeRob

I know it must sound pretty pathetic to tire after washing and drying the car but I`ve never really been as careful going thru the process and I really didn`t take a breather thru the 2+ hour ordeal.

Just so you know, that`s not what I was getting at... I think we can all identify with that, we`ve all had a day we had big plans to do a millions things to a car, only to get totally pooped out after just a wash.

Even if you don`t get any further than the AIO, it will remove oxidation, shine the paint up, and leave some protection behind. So the car will be better off than it was before. Plus, the worse off the car is, the easier it is to make a very noticeable improvment. :)

lairdness
03-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Hang in there Rob...I know how you feel...truth is I come in here cause I hate detailing enough to bother to get the right products and info before I start. that being said...

I don`t know I would go straight to AIO first...here`s why: when you let a car sit like that not only ar there dirt particles that will wash off with soap and water, but there will be particles stuck to the clearcoat and embeded in the clear coat.....when you go to apply and remove the AIO many of those particle will come loose and scratch the hell out of the clear you`re trying to polish in the first place.....I don`t know the paint cleansers well enough to offer advice on which you should use....but I do now enough to tell you that this is a clear cut case for Clayin...which will pull those particle up off the cars finish so you`re pollishing when you use AIO rather than moving around those microparticles and scratching up tour paint

CLAY CLAY CLAY!

also I`ve heard people sometimes have trouble with SG if they let it dry too long, BUT the site in the link below says that the longer you wait the easier it is to buff off...? go figure

This is a good link for the Klasse products...

http://www.properautocare.com/apklasbyhan.html

Hang in there...like people said it`ll get better the more the finish get`s smoothed up

And that PC ain`t gonna hurt none down the road either

Gonzo
03-15-2004, 10:39 AM
H Rob,

Don`t panic when you first clay. The initial sound will somewhat like taking sandpaper to your paint This is the clay grabbing all the crud off/out of the paint surface. Keep going over the surface with lots of lube until you hear no "sandpaper" sound, which then means the contaminents are gone.

Other claying tips

1) Before beginning, cut the clay in the kit into at least 3 pieces. This will give you at least 2 back-ups in case you drop one on the ground. If you drop it, THROW IT OUT.

2) Knead the clay you are using often while in use. Stretch it out and fold in over several times as this will expose fresh clay surface while burrying extracted contaminents inside.

3) In spite of the instructions on the box, since your vehicle has gone so long before claying, do about 1/3 of the car with each piece of clay - just don`t drop the last piece!

4) Mothers California Gold makes a great kit. Just to be on the safe side, maybe buy 2 and at lease another bottle of their lube/QD`er. As an alternative, use your car wash soap and water and mix your own lube - lots of soap as is must be really slick.

5) Use lots of lube because clay streaks on paint are a bear to remove, even with a clay bar. In my experience, clay streak removal only seems to removable with elbow grease.