PDA

View Full Version : Is it Okay To use these pads or will they hurt my car`s finish?

imported_Bulldog
03-13-2004, 08:04 AM
For my birthday, my wife got me the Porter Cable 7424. Along with it came several pads she purchased separately. All are Porter Cable brand. Before I go and order the pads a lot of you guys/gals mention here, I wanted some input on whether I should use these or not. If you think I can, on what step would I use the particular pad (swirl removal, final step, etc). Here they go:

Hook and Loop Lambs Wool Polishing Pad

Hook and Loop Sponge Applicator Pad

Polishing Pad supplied with the 7424.

Thanks for any inputs.

wash_me
03-13-2004, 09:21 AM
I use the Lambs Wool Polishing Pad alot, the other pads I am sure about.

shaf
03-13-2004, 04:17 PM
The community is a bit divided about the Polishing Pad. Some like it just fine (it`s roughly the same as other brand "polishing" grades, so use it accordingly) others don`t like it and say it falls apart.

One thing that I never thought about until recently was that maybe it has fallen apart or separated sometimes because they press downwards on their PC while polishing? I know that tends to shorten the life of normal velcro pads, so I don`t know what it`d do to the glue for this one. Try a title search for "white pad" on this maybe.

Not much, if any, info on the others you mentioned as far as I know....

imported_Dave Holmes
03-14-2004, 04:15 AM
I`ve used the white Porter Cable brand polishing pad with good results. Like 4DSC said, some people may have problems with it if using a lot of pressure.

It is not nearly as convenient as something like the LC velcro pads that I can throw in the wash (gentle cycle)when done. But the PC pad can get the job done. It`s the clean-up that is a turn-off for me.

I don`t know about the other pads.

Dave

jimmybuffit
03-14-2004, 08:18 AM
I`ve used 2 of the 3. Seems the applicator pad would be harmless, also.

All three are "not as good" as the many foam pads mentioned on the forum.

The lambswool pad (with something like DACP) will effectively remove `spiderweb` swirls and maybe more. Takes awhile, but it works.

The polishing pad, as mentioned, has a short life if too much pressure, or angled... the backing plate cuts into the back of the pad.

In short, use the pads without concern. They WILL help you to get a feel for the machine.

Me, I like all of the Meguiar`s pads above others, altho the ($$$) orange pad from CMA is quite effective.

http://www.properautocare.com/orangepowerpad.html

Good Luck!

Jim