PDA

View Full Version : Dry with air compressor?

jrouvier
03-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Someone suggested that drying my car with an air compressor would help prevent spiderwebs. Is this I good idea?

tpgsr
03-12-2004, 09:52 PM
i use my compressor to blow out all of the seams and crevices that way when i polish there isn`t water dripping in my way.

imported_BretFraz
03-12-2004, 10:03 PM
I don`t you can generate enough air volume from a small compressor to make drying this way effective or efficient. A high volume air dryer system installed at commercial car washes is the only really effective way to dry a car with air. Look at the volume of air they move across your car; a compressor cannot compete.

I agree with TPSGR that compressed air is great for blowing out water from seams and such. If you want to minimize toweling, use the water trickle method for the final rinse and drive your car around the block to blow off excess water.

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

A high volume air dryer system installed at commercial car washes is the only really effective way to dry a car with air.

Very good point. It`s all about the volume of air. Not the pressure of the air.

Also, other than blowing out around the trim, door jambs, etc, I`m not a fan of blowing high pressure air on the surface of a vehicle. The reason is due to the possibility of some type of comtamination that could be in the air. Remember, most air compressors sometimes build up a certain amout of condensation over time too.

Scottwax
03-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by tpgsr

i use my compressor to blow out all of the seams and crevices that way when i polish there isn`t water dripping in my way.

Same here. Even when using deionized water, I prefer to dry the car with MFs.