PDA

View Full Version : OXO wash brush.............. too stiff??

Pages : [1] 2

C-MDX
03-12-2004, 06:07 PM
I got my OXO wash brush today. I felt it and it`s alot stiffer than I think it would be. Are you guys sure it wouldn`t marr the finish :nixweiss

SK2003TypeS
03-12-2004, 06:16 PM
this one ? I have this still in the plastic. I don`t feel comfortable using it on paint yet. But I thought I saw a post about this not too long ago and few people said it was ok.

C-MDX
03-12-2004, 06:19 PM
Yeah. It`s almost as stiff as my fender brush :eek:. I`m kinda worry :(

SK2003TypeS
03-12-2004, 06:30 PM
This was from not to long ago....maybe it`ll help you make a decision ? I`m still a big chicken :p

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33751&highlight=oxo

shaf
03-13-2004, 03:14 AM
What do you mean by "stiff"? Do you mean the bristles don`t feel very soft at the tips, or do you mean something is not very flexible?

Just curious because I find myself looking at brushes lately as well.

C-MDX
03-13-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

What do you mean by "stiff"? Do you mean the bristles don`t feel very soft at the tips, or do you mean something is not very flexible?

Just curious because I find myself looking at brushes lately as well.

The tips.

Accumulator
03-13-2004, 02:08 PM
Heh heh, I think this thread is sorta scary. If, when you touch the tips of the bristles, you are even SLIGHTLY concerned that they might not be soft enough, DON`T USE IT!! I know some people use the OXO brush and never see marring from it, but I`d sure never try it.

I use Griot`s BHBs on some of my vehicles, but MOST Autopians get significant marring from them. And boar`s hair is SOFT when it`s wet. With BHBs considered NOT-paint-friendly, I can`t IMAGINE someone using a brush with synthetic bristles.

I`ve used some synthetic-bristle brushes with *VERY* soft, flagged-tip bristles. BUT.. with flagged bristles there`s always the issue of wear. Once the flagging wears enough, the softness is gone and it`s scratch city. Are you gonna inspect EVERY bristle for wear and toss the brush when the first one wears down? The only safe way to use such things is to replace them early (and often).

If you feel lucky and want to try a brush, get boar`s hair.

C-MDX
03-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

get boar`s hair.

Yeah but........$$

Accumulator
03-13-2004, 02:41 PM
I dunno, they aren`t THAT expensive. I realize everyone`s in a different situation, but I view that kind of money ($70) as being more of a "renewable resource" than the paint on my vehicles. Just think about how much you paid for the vehicle...

shaf
03-13-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by C-MDX

The tips. Yeah, okay. I was afraid of this. :( A lot of the tips on the brushes I see locally aren`t very soft feeling....

SK2003TypeS
03-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Just think about how much you paid for the vehicle...

My thoughts exactly. $20 BHB for my rims.....or ~$250 to replace a stock rim.

Spilchy
03-13-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Heh heh, I think this thread is sorta scary. If, when you touch the tips of the bristles, you are even SLIGHTLY concerned that they might not be soft enough, DON`T USE IT!! I know some people use the OXO brush and never see marring from it, but I`d sure never try it.

I use Griot`s BHBs on some of my vehicles, but MOST Autopians get significant marring from them. And boar`s hair is SOFT when it`s wet. With BHBs considered NOT-paint-friendly, I can`t IMAGINE someone using a brush with synthetic bristles.

I`ve used some synthetic-bristle brushes with *VERY* soft, flagged-tip bristles. BUT.. with flagged bristles there`s always the issue of wear. Once the flagging wears enough, the softness is gone and it`s scratch city. Are you gonna inspect EVERY bristle for wear and toss the brush when the first one wears down? The only safe way to use such things is to replace them early (and often).

If you feel lucky and want to try a brush, get boar`s hair.

I was waiting for good ol` Accumulator and his famous "Heh, heh" to chime in touting the glory of his beloved Griots BHB! ;)

How ya doin` buddy? You sure Griot`s doesn`t slip you a bonus? ;)

Just kidding :p

I have the entire set of oxo brushes. There is no need to use them on paint! Stick with sheepskin and you`ll be golden.

I use that oxo car wash brush on the wheels of folk`s cars I detail. It does a great job on them. I use the brush for the lower rocker panels, lower bumper portions, running boards, door jambs, mud flaps etc... I also use the SUV brush for all the same purposes.

I just don`t see the need for brushes on paint especially if you keep your vehicle in relatively clean condition.

I know Accumulator will use his BHB on the minivan (I believe) but the old man has got 20 years experience under his belt using it. (Jeez, I`m givin` it to you at every angle!)

If you use it, be careful and use the 2 bucket method. If not, use like the way I do. It does have a place in an Autopian arsenal.

kbulava85
03-13-2004, 05:40 PM
I`ve had my OXO Wash Brush for just over a month now. I find it does a totally magic job, thorough but gentle. :xyxthumbs

Each time I`ve washed with it I`ve got higher up the car. Today I used it for EVERY nook and cranny (there`s a lot on my car) and left the fine bristle paint brush* I normally use for these awkward areas on its shelf... car looks great!

Gives great results and saves time too, in my opinion. :cool:

Happy driving!

Cal :D

* 2" fine natural bristled brush, metal part covered densely by insulation tape.

jasonatv22
03-13-2004, 07:03 PM
This whole thread is kind of a "does not compute" and "everything you know is wrong" kind of thing for me.

If I saw someone washing with a brush, I`d pity the paint. This may be, as Cal says, a magic brush, but if my detailing-knowledgable neighbor saw me using it, he`d pity my paint.

Accumulator
03-14-2004, 11:27 AM
Spilchy- Did I mention that I like Griot`s BHBs? ;) :D :o