PDA

View Full Version : What to use and in what order to get the best shine on Silvermist?

Pages : [1] 2

98GTPDriva
03-12-2004, 03:34 PM
I own a Silvermist-Metallic colored Grand Prix and would like to get the best shine possible out of it. I am asking for advice from my fellow Autopians of what products I should use to get that best shine. I will be doing car shows (not concours), but I still would like my car to have the best-looking paint. Here is what I own, so please help me out and tell me what I should use, what order and how many coats of each. I appreciate everyone`s help. Thanks.

I am going to get rid of my swirls with #82 SFP and a white pad using my PC. The rest is unknown to me which is why I need help.

I own:

Klasse AIO

Klasse SG

Meguiar`s NXT Tech Wax

S100

Pinnacle Paste Glaz

I was thinking of AIO (using PC), SGx3, NXTx2 and then switching off between S100 and Pinnacle Paste Glaz. I was thinking to switch off between S100 and Pinnacle Paste Glaz to get the best of both worlds. I know NXT has a little cleaning ability, so would it be better to do NXTx2, SGx3 and then follow with S100 and Pinnacle Paste Glaz? I would skip AIO because the NXT has a little cleaning ability and therefore would set the stage for SG.

Please let me know your opinions and what you think would look/be the best out of what I own. Autopian`s know the best!

teamvegas
03-12-2004, 04:01 PM
I would go with AIO and then SGx2. That should get a good deep look on silver. You could then even top that woth a coat of P21S. Its a good reflector. That is also what DavidB. reccomneds for "the Perfect Shine." Just my $.02 though. There are many ways to do it, but that is my fav. for what you already have.

BillNorth
03-12-2004, 04:27 PM
I have a silvermist metallic alero that I work on and I use SG x2 plus blitz topper. The car looks excellent in person. Pictures don`t seem to do it justice though. I would recco sg x3. I would have done sg x3 but I didn`t have the time.

But the SG and carnuba definately look good on silvermist.

Bill :up

teamvegas
03-12-2004, 04:50 PM
Bill, is the third coat really worht it? I have only done 2 so far so im not sure? Thanks

Scott P
03-12-2004, 05:09 PM
For silver, I would stick with the sealants. SG, EX-P, Zaino, UPP, etc.

FlyNavy
03-12-2004, 05:15 PM
I just bought a new silver Pacifica. I buffed it out with Meg`s #9 and put a single layer of NXT on it.

It is the best shine I have seen on silver. Not as good as my red Vette, but still very shiny.

I used Zaino on my last silver car -- nice, but not nearly as easy as NXT and no better shine either.

BillNorth
03-12-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by teamvegas

Bill, is the third coat really worht it? I have only done 2 so far so im not sure? Thanks

Yeah man!! The third coat will give the glass like look to the paint. It`s really cool. If you use the WOO method to apply SG then a third coat should only take you half an hour.

I say go for it!!

Bill :up

teamvegas
03-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Thanks Bill! I`ll have to put 1 more on. WOO was your wipe on/off method correct?

imported_Terry
03-12-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Scott P

For silver, I would stick with the sealants. SG, EX-P, Zaino, UPP, etc. What he said:xyxthumbs

BillNorth
03-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by teamvegas

WOO was your wipe on/off method correct?

Yup, that`s correct!

shaf
03-13-2004, 03:36 AM
Just another note: Since none of us really know how bad your swirls are, I highly suggest that you equip yourself to deal with the possibility that they may be worse than you think.

- Get something stronger than #82, like DACP or a Fine Cut product, or one of the other products (like the increasingly popular 1z) equivalent to this.

- Get a good assortment of pads, including some cutting pads with polishing ones.

You`ve put a lot of emphasis on so-called "last step products" such as NXT, Klasse, and no less than TWO carnauba waxes, but remember:

"95% preparation, 5% product"

Good luck, and I hope this helps. :wavey

killrwheels
03-13-2004, 08:24 AM
Do you want shine and reflectivity ?? Try the New Wolfgang Concours Sealant. Most other sealants made my Silver Vette look white, but brought out the metallic. (maybe metallic refracts, instead of reflects making it look white from certain angles) Wolfgang did not seem to do this like NXT did. (Then again , I think NXT has some color enhancers, or brightners in it, as it seems to change most colors from original shade)

Do you want depth , 3 Dimensional, wet-look. Then Pinnacle Soveran is your choice hands done. While you wont get lasting durability of a sealant, you will find it so easy to use that a coat a month and some Crystal Mist will always keep it looking new. Heres a pic of my hood with Pinnacle. http://hometown.aol.com/killrwheels/images/reflection.jpg

this is on a cloudy after noon.

http://hometown.aol.com/killrwheels/images/***.jpg

killrwheels
03-13-2004, 08:37 AM
http://hometown.aol.com/killrwheels/images/***.jpg

Guess I should have titled that one different. Just copy and paste and add a word for butt in the *** to see pic.

This is the best picture I can find, to show you what I mean by white. While I dont know that this guy uses a sealant , this pic provides a good comparision. Look at the rear to the front. I got this with NXT (yuck) .

http://i14.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/76/71/6f_1.JPG

JimS
03-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Poorboys EX or new Ex-P are my choices for sealants. For swirls or micro-marring I love Poorboys SSR`s and/or Pro Polish.

98GTPDriva
03-13-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Just another note: Since none of us really know how bad your swirls are, I highly suggest that you equip yourself to deal with the possibility that they may be worse than you think.

- Get something stronger than #82, like DACP or a Fine Cut product, or one of the other products (like the increasingly popular 1z) equivalent to this.

- Get a good assortment of pads, including some cutting pads with polishing ones.

You`ve put a lot of emphasis on so-called "last step products" such as NXT, Klasse, and no less than TWO carnauba waxes, but remember:

"95% preparation, 5% product"

Good luck, and I hope this helps. :wavey

I own DACP too, but my swirls aren`t too bad so I`m thinking that I won`t have to step up to DACP. I also own the CMA pad kit and I also just bought an orange power pad, so I do have plenty of pads. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it from an Autopian veteran like yourself.