PDA

View Full Version : Removing Oxidation w/ AIO. What`s the whole process?

White95Max
03-12-2004, 01:31 PM
I am planning to detail a friend`s black 94 Concorde in a couple weeks. He has a bad oxidation spot on the trunk, about the size of a typical computer mouse. It is major oxidation...the whole spot is white/gray.

I have heard about the great results that AIO can acheive on oxidation. What does this involve?

When I apply the AIO, what should I apply it with?

Should I let it dry?

What should I remove it with?

Does it take multiple applications to remove the oxidation?

thinksnow
03-12-2004, 01:35 PM
There are many great threads on AIO and the prefered methods of other users. HOWEVER, I don`t want you to get your hopes up about that being oxidation. I had a 1993 Concorde (my first car, whoo-hoo) and the paint was awful. From what it sounds like in your post and without the benefits of pictures, I believe you may be dealing with clearcoat failure. Nothing will solve the problem aside from a respray.

On another Concorde note, is the paint peeling away from the edges of the hood or trunklid? That was the first to go on mine:(

And yes, I owned it from mile 12 so I can`t blame the previous driver!

andriver
03-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Yep sounds like clearcoat failure. If this is the case, not much you can do to revive the paint. Check out the thread by Jngrbrdman on using AIO on an oxidated red truck.

White95Max
03-12-2004, 01:50 PM
I saw that thread with the red truck. It`s hard to even call it red before it was detailed!

I haven`t really looked over the Concorde yet, my friend just showed me the spot on the trunk. I felt the car, and then I told him to feel my car. He was very impressed with the smooth feel of my car, which contributed heavily to his decision to have me do his car.

So oxidation is on top of the clear coat, and able to be removed, but clearcoat failure is permanent? Is this right?

thinksnow
03-12-2004, 01:57 PM
So oxidation is on top of the clear coat, and able to be removed, but clearcoat failure is permanent? Is this right?

Well, partially yes. Oxidation is within the clearcoat--that is what you are removing if this is your situation. Clearcoat failure is bye-bye clearcoat. The paint underneath is not meant for exposure to the elements or polishing as the clearcoat operated as its protective layer.

White95Max
03-12-2004, 02:13 PM
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32419&highlight=BMW+oxidation

In that thread, the first picture shows what the spot on the Concorde looks like. Unless those white/gray spots are reflected clouds.

imported_eggroll
03-12-2004, 03:06 PM
In that thread, the first picture shows what the spot on the Concorde looks like. Unless those white/gray spots are reflected clouds.

Yes, I believe those are reflected clouds.