PDA

View Full Version : Prep Sol Use

DBC
03-12-2004, 01:44 AM
ok i finally broke down and headed to my autobody and paint supply distributor and purchased some,being that i was absent minded and forgot to go and check out Home Depot for some denatured alcohol.i was wondering which one of these would have been safer to use since i have no experience with them.

anyhow i plan on completely stripping the car of all its klasse coats.im pretty much very satisfied with its durability since ive had it on since May of last year.tried using AIO to remove it but it didnt even look like it was taking off any of the coats i had on there.well directions on the container for the prep sol say to soak a towel in prepsol and to wet the areas liberally for a couple of minutes not letting it to dry and wiping it down with another towel.now my questions that i wanted to ask is:

1.how long do i have to really leave it on?

2.can i use the prepsol in a spray bottle and spray it onto the car itself and wipe it down after?

ive searched around and couldnt find any answers to know how long to leave the prepsol on so i was wondering if i could use some HI-Intensity cleaner instead full strength to remove the klasse coats or whats the dilution rate to remove the klasse with the APC i have right now?if i can use the APC then i would plan on returning the prepsol since it wouldnt really be needed.thanks in advance!

Robert

Accumulator
03-12-2004, 10:10 AM
I dunno...using PrepSol to remove SG sounds funny to me. If you have that much SG on the vehicle, why take it off? *I* would just clay it and leave it be. If you`re not thrilled with the "Klasse looK", just top it with carnauba. But that wasn`t what you were asking :o So..to the point:

PrepSol should remove ANYTHING that`s on the paint. It`s oughta be safe, only exception I can think of is if you`ve had a panel repainted, but even then you should be OK. I wouldn`t spray it, I`d put it on a cloth and use it as per the instructions on the can. You have to let it dwell long enough to dissolve/soften the SG, so no firm rule there. You`ll know when it`s worked because when you wipe it off your paint will be obviously "stripped" of protection. It`ll be sorta dry-feeling and squeaky clean..and it`ll probably look awful ;)

I always just removed SG with rubbing alcohol, myself. Or used an abrasive polish that cut through it while removing marring.

EFHI or other such cleaners aren`t gonna have NEARLY the oomph of a solvent like PrepSol.

DBC
03-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

I dunno...using PrepSol to remove SG sounds funny to me. If you have that much SG on the vehicle, why take it off? *I* would just clay it and leave it be. If you`re not thrilled with the "Klasse looK", just top it with carnauba. But that wasn`t what you were asking :o So..to the point:

PrepSol should remove ANYTHING that`s on the paint. It`s oughta be safe, only exception I can think of is if you`ve had a panel repainted, but even then you should be OK. I wouldn`t spray it, I`d put it on a cloth and use it as per the instructions on the can. You have to let it dwell long enough to dissolve/soften the SG, so no firm rule there. You`ll know when it`s worked because when you wipe it off your paint will be obviously "stripped" of protection. It`ll be sorta dry-feeling and squeaky clean..and it`ll probably look awful ;)

I always just removed SG with rubbing alcohol, myself. Or used an abrasive polish that cut through it while removing marring.

EFHI or other such cleaners aren`t gonna have NEARLY the oomph of a solvent like PrepSol.

Thanks for your reply.Dont get me wrong here,I`d love to jus leave the SG on but the reason for me taking it off is that im trying out some new products,namely sealants with #20 being the first and working my way towards UPP,PB,etc..to see what kind of characteristics it will give my white paint.With summer coming around the corner soon,even tho its only March,i want to try layering different sealants to see what combo would make my white paint really bright,wet and glossy to match the season.I know i know sounds kinda weird eh.

I did do an experiment a while back ago and jus realized it.I sprayed some EFHI on a really small area on the back lower panel of my rear bumper.The EFHI took off the SG that tinted that part of my car and brought out the white even more.Never knew that so many coats of SG could "tint" or darken my white paint.I`ll let you know if it works out or not.

Robert

DBC
03-12-2004, 11:35 PM
ok i jus came back from trying to take off the multiple klasse coats.i first tried the prep sol but it only seemed to take off the wax layer without even touching the klasse.well maybe jus a teeny weensy bit.oh well so much for returning it now.guess i can use it as a tar remover:p

anyway i next tried the EFHI.i took a microfiber cloth and sprayed the EFHI on it and started wiping the rear bumper down....it works!straight or a little diluted but not too much maybe,the EFHI worked at taking off the klasse.i proceeded to use a chamois and used it damp to give the bumper a final wipe to clean up any residue the EFHI left.it left the surface pretty smooth with only the clearcoat exposed.i wish i had a digi cam to show the comparison between the prepsol and the EFHI side by side.

it works.since i dont have pics to post up my guess would b to have any one of you try it and see for yourself if you ever thought about taking off your klasse coats also to try something new.it will leave your paint surface bare.

robert

Accumulator
03-14-2004, 11:41 AM
Robert- I found your PrepSol/EFHI vs. SG results VERY interesting. Having used both products, that was exactly the OPPOSITE of what I would`ve expected! I`m always using EFHI around SGed stuff and never noticed it doing anything, maybe/probably because of how I dilute it. Hmm...I`m gonna be more careful with it from now on; thanks for posting your results.

DBC
03-14-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Robert- I found your PrepSol/EFHI vs. SG results VERY interesting. Having used both products, that was exactly the OPPOSITE of what I would`ve expected! I`m always using EFHI around SGed stuff and never noticed it doing anything, maybe/probably because of how I dilute it. Hmm...I`m gonna be more careful with it from now on; thanks for posting your results.

Accumulator-I know I dont post much and since my status as an enthusiast says only so much(when did that change?)I been doing alot of reading through the archives and such.Coming from you as one of the more experienced Autopians here on the forum,I`ll take that as a compliment:D.Thanks for your sharing your results.

robert

JimS
03-15-2004, 09:31 AM
I have white paint on my truck and I removed about 5 coats of Zaino last summer using PPG 440 Wax and Grease remover and I think that would be about the same thing as Prep-Sol.

I`ve been using Poorboys Pro Polish and EX sealant and loved it. This weekend I stripped that combo with the #440, applied the Pro Polish with my PC and then applied Poorboys new sealant EX-P...which has no carnuba.

I like this combo even better than the EX. Best look on white I"ve found.