PDA

View Full Version : Taking off adhesive from decals

Murrayhe
03-12-2004, 12:16 AM
I`m looking to take off the stuck on lable/decal in the back of my Mercedes (the "C320" part). I`ve heard of Goo Gone, but wasn`t able to find it in my local auto store. Will this product named "Oops! Multi-Purpose Remover" do?

NEW AGAIN
03-12-2004, 12:18 AM
3M Adhesive Remover you can find it at your local body shop supply store

Goo Gone @ Lowes

Make sure you polish & wax the area after removal. Good Luck

imported_garyo
03-12-2004, 08:41 AM
I have had good luck with alcohol depending on how much adhesive is there.

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Oggle

I`m looking to take off the stuck on lable/decal in the back of my Mercedes (the "C320" part).

You can simlpy use a common hair dryer on a low setting to soften the adhesive and easily remove the label/decal. Most of the adhesive should remain on the label/decal however, any residue left on the surface of your Mercedes should be easily removed using your favorite polish.

Accumulator
03-12-2004, 10:14 AM
I`m always kinda leery about using "household" solvents on autos. I`d get the 3M Adhesive Remover, just to be on the safe side.

And you can try "flossing" it off in combination with any of the abovementioned methods. I use waxed dental floss to work through the adhesive after softening it with the 3M Adhesive Remover and heat (applying both, but carefully). Others use fishing line, but that sounds risky to me.

Watch that you pull the emblem straight up/off. If it comes off at an angle the edges of it can mar your paint. Get someone else to hold the hairdryer while you work the floss.

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Accumulator

I`d get the 3M Adhesive Remover, just to be on the safe side.

Accumulator,

You`re right about the 3M Adhesive Remover. It is the right product for the job. The hair dryer technique will work. But any remaining adhesive residue will ceratinly be more safely removed with the 3M.

Patrick
03-12-2004, 11:27 AM
I used the above combos with great success, hairdryer to soften the adhesive, then follow up with 3M.....again, use auto products as opposed to household stuff....(at least for this job!)