PDA

View Full Version : sealants that are suppose to be topped with a carnuba

Pages : [1] 2

racsos
03-11-2004, 02:18 PM
I just recently applied zaino and the topped it with s100. It looks awsome but i have read that topping zaino with waxes can degrade it. What i want to know is what sealant is good for topping with a wax? Another quick question is now that i have topped with zaino i know that i obviously have to wait for the s100 to come off or dawn the car, But is it okay to use the z6 after washes now that it has the wax on it?

audio1der
03-11-2004, 02:26 PM
I do the same thing, but use have only tried Meg`s paste waxes as toppers thus far.

I use normal QD (a 50-50 mix of Mothers Showtime for shine, and Meg`s FI for dust encapulation/cleaning ability) once I`ve waxed; it`s cheaper than using Z6 which is formulated to be used specifically with Z2. I`m sure yo can use Z6, it just seems like a bit of a waste to me- my $.02

Sal Z. also told me NEVER to top Z, but I found it lasted a good 6 months even once topped.

Z works great, smells great and looks great if you like the metallic, shallow shine. Topped with a good carnauba, it`s incredible!

I say don`t change a thing!:cool:

racsos
03-11-2004, 02:44 PM
zaino really is incredible when topped with a good carnuba. I guess i will leave as is and start to qd with mothers and meguirs qd. thanks

ZaneO
03-11-2004, 03:29 PM
I honestly didn`t see any difference when I topped Zaino.

racsos
03-11-2004, 03:32 PM
huh thats weird i saw a big difference but maybe its because my car is silver and urs is red.

imported_BretFraz
03-11-2004, 03:32 PM
I agree with those who say don`t top Zaino. There is no benefit except asthetics and that`s all in the eye of the beholder.

Most aminofunctional siloxane products can be topped to enhance looks. Stuff like AIO, Liquid Glass, Finish First, Duragloss, Meg`s #20..... the old skool "sealants".

forrest@mothers
03-11-2004, 06:07 PM
I think it`s a mistake to top a synthetic with carnauba, but to each his own.

imported_memnuts
03-11-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by forrest

I think it`s a mistake to top a synthetic with carnauba, but to each his own.

Forrest,

Please expand. Do you mine in terms of loss of durability and protection or appearance? :wavey

cmk-2
03-11-2004, 06:15 PM
when i apply mothers i have the carnauba wax then i allways finish with reflections just adds that extra clarity to the paint and a smoother finish to the paint. :cool:

forrest@mothers
03-11-2004, 06:20 PM
blk - most carnauba based products are solvent based, and application of it will remove some of the sealant.

And, most folks (in my estimation) who apply sealants do so for the look of them - which is generally, a more sterile look than what most describe versus the "warmth" of carnauba.

The manufacturers have worked hard to create products which are formulated to work together (e.g. Z5, Z2, etc). Throwing a foreign product into the mix will sometimes have unintended results which may not be desired or acceptable. When that occurs, I cringe when folks make statements about how the product didn`t "work" or "look" right.

I should have explained it in greater detail above. Thanks for reminding me to clarify my reason

racsos
03-11-2004, 06:30 PM
now i am a little confused. The reason why i did top it with wax is for the look. Zaino didnt have the same look until i applied the wax. I think it did look a little plasticy. What other sealant does not get these results without topping with wax???

Accumulator
03-11-2004, 06:34 PM
Some sealants probably work better/worse with some wax toppers; some combos are just gonna be better than others.

Meg`s #16 worked great over multiple layers of SG; the wax lasted over two months and the SG was still going strong when I redid it about six months (!) after that. That was over eight months without needing redone..must not`ve had a compatibility problem.

lairdness
03-11-2004, 07:12 PM
I`m deffinately no expert by any stretch of the imagination...but I`ve been doing allot of reading on just this subject

I hear a lot of people saying use Klasse AIO with a good carnuba over the top (p21s, Pinacle Souveran or, if you`re looking for it to last longer, Meg`s #16 wax got a good rating here)...But Klasse seems to be very well thought of as a polish under carnuba. I`m seriously considering AIO with Klasse`s Sealent Glaze over the top because it sounds like the finish will be similar to a polish/carnuba while lasting forever...anyone have thoughts on that combo...I think I`ll start a new thread with just that question...

Accumulator
03-12-2004, 10:19 AM
lairdness- The Klasse twins give a look that`s quite different from a carnauba. Some people like it, others don`t. But you can always add the carnauba later, thus having the protection and durability of the SG AND the look of the carnauba. I really dunno about the trend towards AIO+carnauba without the SG...I`d use the SG too, myself.

WAX2MUCH
03-12-2004, 11:37 AM
I have topped Zaino with Souveran and also with P21S. To my eyes, the richness/warmth is subtle, but it is there, and the thing I really like is I can apply interim coats of these carnaubas very quickly (minimal dry time)...basically just apply and wipe off....no mixing ZFX and waiting 30 minutes to remove. I finish the buff out with Pinnacle Mist or Speed Shine and it looks great.