PDA

View Full Version : SG Quesion

BlueRanger
03-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Im sorry guys, quick SG question, a Red M3 I will be detailing next week had AIO and a coat of SG over XMAS, and he wants it "waxed" again. Do i need to do AIO again, or can i just go straight to SG? Thanks a lot. Ill post pics, i promise!

Gonzo
03-11-2004, 01:59 PM
AIO will remove the SG if you do. If SG is in good shape, and paint doesn`t need claying, maybe. Redoing the AIO / SG might be the safest route. I`ve applied multiple SG but only days apart and the truck was kept really clean in between.

dmatre
03-11-2004, 02:01 PM
On my `Benz, I did AIO + 2xSG Thanksgiving weekend.

About 3 weeks ago, I washed it, decided that it had lost a little of its `dazzle`, and reapplied the SG (no AIO). The car looked every bit as good as it did in November.

Unless there are some blemishes in the paint (maybe due to bird droppings, road salt, etc), I wouldn`t think that it would be necessary to go back to AIO.

Even reading the bottle, SG can be applied directly to a new car - without the AIO step first. This would lead me to believe that the AIO is more of a cleaner/polish, and would not be necessary every time you apply the SG.

imported_Greg
03-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Well evaluate the paint first. If the paint is in great condition and the SG from X-Mas seems to be going strong, then I would said go ahead and just go SG after a wash. If it feels like it needs to be clayed, or some spot cleaning with AIO, then you might want to start off fresh.

BlueRanger
03-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Alrighty, sounds good guys, can i clay and do SG, or will the claying remove what SG/AIO that was on there?

THANKS A LOT! Also, his leather is extrememly faded, what do you think about 6:1 woolie to clean it and 303? Or should i ad something like meguars leather conditioner as an in betweener?

raymond_ho2002
03-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Considering you`re in San Luis Obispo, your winters are mild and so I don`t see why you`d need to start over with AIO. I`d just go with another coat of SG.

-Raymond

2wheelsx2
03-11-2004, 04:38 PM
I agree that at your location, if the paint doesn`t need clay, or only needs a light claying, then SG alone is fine. But if it`s gotten dirty, or has lots of contamination, I would just start fresh.

As for your question about the leather, I think your plan is good, except that you mentioned that the seats are very faded. A conditioner won`t bring that back, you might have to look into something like the leatherique products to try to bring back the new look.

tom p.
03-11-2004, 04:47 PM
It`s hard to imagine the paint is still clean enough after that many weeks unless the car is not driven on a regular basis.

BlueRanger
03-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Thank you very much for all of your replies guys, its a DD, so i might have to start over, well just see once i get my hands on it. As far as the leather goes, i chose my words wrong, "dried out" is a better term, they just havent been treated since XMAS, so there a little starvin for some conditioner. Thanks a lot for your advise, ill let you know how it goes.

Accumulator
03-11-2004, 06:25 PM
Last-minute comment- If you clay gently, it shouldn`t do much to the SG, let alone require you to use AIO. I spot-clay my SGed vehicles with most every wash, and it never seems to remove an appreciable amount of SG. So just because you clay, that won`t mean you have to go back to the AIO step. But yeah, a DD will probably need some work anyhow.

shaf
03-11-2004, 11:39 PM
....but if in doubt, AIO. ;) With Accumulator`s advice it kind of all depends on how "hard" you clay it, as it could cause minor marring.

I think you should clay the car, and then inspect it and decide then.