PDA

View Full Version : Awesome C5!

Pages : [1] 2

C5-Deb
03-11-2004, 12:34 PM
I`ve owned four Trans Ams and two Mustangs over the past 15 years. (You could say I`m a sports car gal at heart!)

I just recently bought my first Corvette (2001)! One word to describe it = awesome! Any special tips on keeping my Vette top-notch - I would love to hear. I`m also thinking about showing it a couple months. Wish me luck!

ZaneO
03-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Welcome, but this post shouldn`t be in the "Hall of Fame".

Click on the learn link at the top of the page. That`ll be a great place to get you started. Also, check out www.bettercarcare.com

Beautiful Vette, by the way. :cool:

C5-Deb
03-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Posting this in "Hall of Fame" was a mistake - trying to figure out how to move to proper category.

togwt
03-11-2004, 01:09 PM
:welcome to Autopia

Nice ride and good like in entering it in car shows, a lot of work, but great fun (nothing like taking home Best of Show) Let us know how it goes.

C5-Deb
03-11-2004, 01:29 PM
I did already use Kit Car Cleaner, and then applied a coat of Liquid Glass. But not getting the "deep wet look" I was hoping for. Any recommendations??? I`ve been reading a lot of reviews here on Autopia regarding Klasse AIO. Maybe I should go that route?? Keep in mind - I live in Arizona. 115 degrees in the summer time. Need something particularly to protect the dark finish from the harmful UV rays. Help me out here? ;) Thanks!

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by C5-Deb

Need something particularly to protect the dark finish from the harmful UV rays. Help me out here? ;) Thanks!

I would highly recommend using a polymer product, such as Meguiar`s #20 Polymer Sealant, topped with a coat of a carnauba wax, such as Meguiar`s #26 Yellow Wax.

The Polymer Sealant will help to give your Corvette added protection against the UV rays of the sun. While the Yellow Wax will help to provide that high-gloss almost wet-look luster.

That is the process that I like to use, especially on black Corvettes.

imported_pugoman
03-11-2004, 02:12 PM
If you haven`t done so already - then I`d give it going over with some clay then follow with polish and wax. Clearkote VMW followed with CMW would look very good. ;)

BTW, that`s a very nice car! :xyxthumbs

C5-Deb
03-11-2004, 02:15 PM
Thank you for the suggestion (and the compliment)! I know in the pic the color looks black. But it`s actually the Metallic Navy Blue. EVERYONE compliments on the color - and that`s one of the things that sold me on it! :)

imported_pugoman
03-11-2004, 02:19 PM
I can see on my monitor that the color is very dark blue - one of my favorite colours! Wish we had those in the UK...

ZaneO
03-11-2004, 03:36 PM
You`ll definitely need 2 or 3 layers of a good sealant to protect it in Arizona. Zaino is very durable and shines like crazy, but some people don`t think that it is deep enough.

Another good sealant combo is the Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant Glaze.

The most important thing is the prep work. You need to clay the whole car and probably use a fine polish to rejuvenate (sp?) the paint. One you have that done, the rest is "icing on the cake."

Bring it out to Texas and I`ll fix it up for you :D

Good luck!

C5-Deb
03-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Hey ZaneO!

Thanks for the recommendations! So I should definitely clay it to pull the Liquid Glass off - before applying the new product? I am really leaning toward the Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant Glaze. What type of polish would you recommend before applying the Klasse?

Funny you mention Texas - that`s where the car is from. :)

ZaneO
03-11-2004, 05:43 PM
You should clay the car in order to remove all the surface contamination, etc. from the paint.

The polish needed will depend on the amount of swirls/scratches. The Menzerna polishes are great but are best used with a Porter Cable buffer. If you aren`t ready to spend a couple hundred dollars on supplies, then you might want to look at Meguiars Swirl Free Polish by hand.

If you are going to get serious about this, it is going to cost you quite a bit. Mitts and towels are very important, along with technique, in order to keep your finish looking its best.

Keep firing away with questions, but make sure to get familiar with the search function, too. :)

1 Clean WS6
03-11-2004, 05:45 PM
GORGEOUS VETTE!!:D

I`m not sure how new to detailing you are but personally I`d try some other products first that are less user intensive than the Klasse twins. They give a great shine and awesome protection but seem to require a very specific application/removal technique to get the most out of them.

Personally I`d:

Wash with a good car shampoo (I like Meg`s Gold Class)

Clay (I like the Mother`s clay bar)

Meg`s #81 Hand Polish for a glaze

Meg`s NXT as a polymer sealant (has a ton of UV blockers in it)

Meg`s #16 as a carnuba topper

I think that combo will make that navy blue metallic Vette looking SOAKING WET!!!:xyxthumbs

...and welcome to Autopia!!!:wavey

imported_ajbarnes
03-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by pugoman

If you haven`t done so already - then I`d give it going over with some clay then follow with polish and wax. Clearkote VMW followed with CMW would look very good. ;)

BTW, that`s a very nice car! :xyxthumbs

I second this method. I`ve tried it on dark colors, and it`s awesome!

Nice vette!:cool: :xyxthumbs

:welcome

teamvegas
03-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by ZaneO

You should clay the car in order to remove all the surface contamination, etc. from the paint.

The polish needed will depend on the amount of swirls/scratches. The Menzerna polishes are great but are best used with a Porter Cable buffer. If you aren`t ready to spend a couple hundred dollars on supplies, then you might want to look at Meguiars Swirl Free Polish by hand.

If you are going to get serious about this, it is going to cost you quite a bit. Mitts and towels are very important, along with technique, in order to keep your finish looking its best.

Keep firing away with questions, but make sure to get familiar with the search function, too. :)

The 1z polishes are very easy to use and give awesome results. I would suggest the Metallic Polish(MP), or if there are a lot of deeper swirls then go with the Paint Polish(PP). Top that off with SG or even the 1Z glanz wax. Check out Click N` Brag and look for scottwax`s work with the combo. He is one of the best, but the products are really easy to work with and give great results.

Just my $.02.

Awesome machine by the way!!!:xyxthumbs :D